GfxUI.exe and other problem after TDSS infection cure

Reaction score
Hi,

Two days ago my laptop was infected with a nasty TDSS rootkit and have been having the iastor.sys BSOD every time I boot into windows or safemode.

While attempt to get through to the command-line option with 10 tries, 9 times got bsod and restarted but
I managed to get to the command prompt option via F8 and used the Kaspersky TDSSkiller tool to remove the rootkit.

I have also scanned my computer and remove the lone registry key with Malwarebytes Anti-Virus tool in safe mode.

Upon restarting my windows as normal, I got the "unable to open GfxUI.exe due to restriction in Internet security setting."

How do I fix this?

EDIT: I have additional problems apart from the above mentioned. I cannot run defragment or chkdsk utilities in windows 7 as it is giving me errors. I tried to do a chkdsk on reboot but the tool never started upon rebooting...

It seems after the removal of the TDSS rootkit, I am having lots of problem like viewing an about dialog of certain programs will cause DBK32 error message to popup. Can't enable the protection module under the protection tab in MalwareBytes' Anti-Virus. I can't access Windows Defender (I try to open it via control panel, a window open but closed immediately). I can't close some programs via system tray like LogMeIn, Unable to open "Services" due to some activeX issue. Can't change UAC settings via MSConfig as I got "Access Denied" error, etc...

Seems like there is some system files corrupted or something... I ran sfc /scannow and it says I have some corrupted files but cannot be fixed...

Here is the uploaded log file as it is too big to attach here:

http://uf6.info/txt/2822109.txt

Reaction score
I have scanned and removed all the virus/malwares from the system until all my scanners returns nothing found. Problems are mostly solved but I am still having problem with the system disk check not starting up on reboot. Also, all my shortcuts on the start menu are gone as well as the one in Administrative tools.... I tried to roll back but the virus turned the system security center off and the restore point is removed....

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Could you run a repair install? It basically leaves everything intact but repairs the system. Any mods you have made to the system will have to be redone though.

Reaction score
If you are refering using the Windows 7 installation disk (not OEM version) for a repair install, then I don't have it since I don't even get any disk when I bought my laptop...

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
This could be your lucky day!! Just burn the iso to disc.

BTW O.E.M and retail are the same under the skin. It's the activation key that tells the disc what to allow to be used. You can in fact "unlock" an ISO file and then have every edition of 7 on one disc. You just have to choose which version to install for which you have the activation key.

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I will try and see if it fixed up the problem in my laptop.

Ask a Question