Forum suggestions?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Now that Windows 7 has been released, forum activity has shot up in the past few days :)

I thought I'd create a thread to see if anyone has suggestions or thoughts on how we can make w7forums.com a better place and improve the experience for fellow users.

If you have any ideas or things you'd like to see on the site, please post them in here so we can discuss and implement them :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just had a thought myself, but thought I'd put it up here to get the ball rolling. How about a section where people could submit guides and tutorials? Would that be of use? :)

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That might be helpful, Ian. Content rules, as they say. Other than that, I cannot think of anything else at the moment (besides a larger font for posts). ;)

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Just had a thought myself, but thought I'd put it up here to get the ball rolling. How about a section where people could submit guides and tutorials? Would that be of use? :)
Thats a great idea Ian but like everything else would need to be moderated :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Perhaps a "Solved" option, This to be allowed only by the moderator or the OP.

Reaction score
Perhaps a "Solved" option, This to be allowed only by the moderator or the OP.
Thats a good idea davehc

Gives me an idea of maybe an "outdated post" for issues that were fixed in updates or newer versions.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I was thinking along the same lines as davehc, some kind of "Solved" added to the Post Name would help. And of course, maybe archive or mark the older/ no longer relevent posts

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll see if I can find a way to add a solved function to the site and try it out :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
...I cannot think of anything else at the moment (besides a larger font for posts). ;)
That's one of my next challenges - making an option in the control panel to adjust the font size. I'll see if there's a plugin for vbulletin already :)

Thats a great idea Ian but like everything else would need to be moderated :)
Yep, it would be a moderated section and then the best articles could then be promoted to appear on the main articles section. If anyone has anything they'd like to submit at the moment, just post the thread in the closest existing section and I'll take a look.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If I am on the right track, there is already an option for different size fonts in the Go Advanced Sub options.?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If I am on the right track, there is already an option for different size fonts in the Go Advanced Sub options.?
Yep, they are ones for when you create a post - I think James means an option to increase the size of fonts across the whole site (if I understand correctly). I've found a way to do this, I just need to figure out a way to set up a way for vBulletin to record options.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The site needs a "tutorials" forum in the list??

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good idea Dave, for user submitted tutorials and things like that? If so, that's not a problem to add! Are you interested in creating any yourself?

This and the crash diagnosis sections are great expansion ideas. :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have a stack of stuff on a partition I have been creating since early Vista. I confess I refer to it a lot when offering help. (Part failing memory, part convenience - lol) Finding the time to edit it for clean user operation is another problemm. But I am read to go.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I don't know if this is a site suggestion, but on the question of improved traffic, may I suggest a very prominent sticky asking the regulars to ad cooments for this site on Alexa? The site is creeping up, in comparison with other 7 sites, but could do with some advertising.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Just thinking as Christmas will soon be with us are there any plans for seasonal decor for the Windows 7 Forums ?, snow would be nice :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have a stack of stuff on a partition I have been creating since early Vista. I confess I refer to it a lot when offering help. (Part failing memory, part convenience - lol) Finding the time to edit it for clean user operation is another problemm. But I am read to go.
Great stuff! I'll add the user tutorials section today and post a new thread about it in the Announcements forum. I'll check out Alexa today too.

edit : Now done :) https://www.w7forums.com/user-submitted-articles-t2748.html

Just thinking as Christmas will soon be with us are there any plans for seasonal decor for the Windows 7 Forums ?, snow would be nice :)
Haha, that could be fun. I might add something to the logo nearer Christmas :)

Ask a Question