HOW TO FORMAT DRIVE C: THEN INSTALL WIN 7 ??

Reaction score
I purchased a computer a few years back with Win 7 SP! installed. Everything worked perfectly. Lately, there has been the problem of taking many minutes to boot up, invoking a program may or may not work properly etc. I tried everything without success. Suggestions to me and my decision was to format the hard drive and reinstall Win 7.
I made sure I could boot from a CD drive and then proceeded. I had saved all the info I needed from the HD. There remained several programs on the HD but I did not care when they would get wiped clean. The Win 7 installation disk worked fine but I never got the option to format drive C. The installation went OK and it removed every program from the HD except one. ?????? That one I ran in the XP mode so maybe that is why. My problem is lessened but still remains. I want to really clean out Drive C with "format" but I can't find the option. On one screen for disk management I see the word "format" but it is not available. So, How do I format the HD then install a clean Windows 7?
Thanks, Dan o_O

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
To Format you boot up the W7 Installation disk and start the Install. When given a choice of Upgrade or Custom, choose the custom install. When it shows the drives & asks where you want to install W7 you select Drive Options (Advanced) and on that screen is an option to Format.

Reaction score
TrainableMan:
Many thanks for the info. It will be a couple weeks before I can try this but I appreciate it.
Regards, Dan

Ask a Question