SOLVED Folders & Files Became Inverted Alphabetically

Reaction score
Hi,

I unintentionally inverted the alphabetical order with just one click with the mouse all the folders and files in a particular folder stored in Documents from being listed from A to Z. Now, all the WordPad documents are listed first from Z to A followed by all the Folders from Z to A.

I don't know what I clicked on that caused this, but would sure like to get them listed back to normal.

Thanks for any suggestions!

BTW, I noticed an "invert selection" choice under "edit", but that didn't do what I had hoped it would.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In Windows Explorer simply click the Field heading you want to sort, in your case Name, again, in order to sort in the opposite direction.
WindowsExplorer-Sort.jpg

Reaction score
Thank you so much for responding. I see, now, how it unintentionally happened with just one click. I had no idea that clicking there would invert the order. Couldn't have done that in XP which is what I am used to using. Just barely learning Win 7.

Thanks, again
Jenny :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You're welcome.

Yes, in W7 you can actually click on any column heading and the list will then be sorted by that column instead, and a second click inverts that sort. So if it is ever sorted by something completely different than NAME you will know to simply click the NAME column to get things back.

What you will notice missing from XP is the ability to have your list "not sorted". In XP you drag entries around to a non-sorted order and they would be remembered, that is not easily done any longer in W7. (Some hacks to the registry do allow not-sorted folders but then other things act a bit odd and I have found the "other things" were more important to me than my folders being sorted. Been using it this way so long now that I don't recall what the "other things" were, just that I wanted them).

Reaction score
Thank you,

Interesting info in your last post about sorting.

I did discover that I can invert the folders and files alphabetically in XP, also, but only in the "details" view. I always used the "list" view so was unaware it could be done. Same goes for Win 7...must be in the "details" to invert. Anyway, learned something new. GREAT!

Jenny :)

Ask a Question