Floppy disk drivers

Reaction score
The CD drive in my HP PC has been knocked out by a Windows update. I have gone to the HP site and got the firmware update that was meant to deal with this but it was asking for a floppy drive or for a CD to write a back up to.
I obviously could not back up to the CD and did not have a floppy/A drive and it does not give me a USB drive option. I have put in an old 1.44 floppy drive I found but I can't find the drivers for it anywhere can anyone point me in the right direction. It is very frustrating. Oh and by the way the PC is using XP not sure if that will make a difference as I am working on the assumption that floppy drives pre-dated both Windows 7 and XP.

I did join this forum for my laptop which does use Windows 7 - I am hoping that someone may be able to help before joining and posting it in the XP support forum.

Reaction score
You may need to enable the floppy drive in the system BIOS. The floppy drive was probably disabled since you didn't have one installed previously. Once the floppy drive has been enabled, Windows should automatically detect and setup the drive for use.

Reaction score
Clifford thanks for that. I did go into the bios and set it as a 1.44 drive and that shoudl have enabled it - in device it can see some hardware but says that drivers are not installed for it.

Reaction score
Does Windows recommend any drivers for the device?

Sometimes running Windows Update for optional updates will help with driver issues of this sort.

Reaction score
Youare right there seems to be a bios issue. I have set it again and booted it but I get a message that says that the floppy drive failed (40)

Reaction score
While you're in the bios, see if your cd/dvd is listed in the boot order options.If not re-enable it. Or in Windows temporarily disable your antivirus software. Click Start and tye dev in the search box and click on Device Manager. Click the arrow where it says CD/DVD-Rom Drives, right-click on your drive and select uninstall. Now click on Scan for hardware changes and let Windows reinstall your drive.

Reaction score
Guys I opologize. I am new to forums and possibly wrote in the wrong section.

Last edited:

Ask a Question