drivers for portable samsung floppy

Reaction score
have vista and win 7 machines wish to use samsung portable floppy with either machine--need drivers where can i get them--just want to remove info off my 31/2 floppy

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is it a USB floppy drive? If so what happens when you plug it in?

What is the make/model of your portable floppy?

Reaction score
3 1/2 floppy

using windows 7 and when install says it cannot find drivers when install disk came with says only good for xp or windows 2000--how to make this work it is external and uses usb plug--it is a samsung sfd-321/ep

Reaction score
Why do you stiil use a flopy drive in Windows 7
A CD can hold 700 MB ,a DVD can hold 4 GB and a DL DVD can hold 8 GB where a floppy can hold just 1.44 MB

In Windows XP, floppy was needed for rare uses like system recovery,virus removal etc

Reaction score
windows 7 should have a generic driver to get the device working properly. Is this an internal or external floppy drive? You should just be able to install floppy drive, whether it's internal/external, and windows 7 should recognize it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OP said they need to get some info off an old floppy. I personally can relate to this because a few years ago I bought a USB floppy drive for that same purpose, because I had some old photos I wanted to retrieve. Unfortunately old media can loose it's magnetism and you may find that some of your disks no longer contain viable files.

And yes the, the OPs device is USB (Samsung sfd-321/ep) but I couldn't find any drivers; as bassfisher said, I would expect native W7 drivers to work but they do not seem to for this poster.

Reaction score
no drivers in win7 called microsoft--no luck guess will have to search for someone with xp

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Would a USB floppy be subject to the BIOS settings for floppy?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If I type =Rand(200,99) (without spaces) into my Word 2007, nothing happens. I don't get the quick lazy fox sentences, but anyway, I'm not sure what this would have to do with this USB floppy post.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Barbara, The Rand(200,99) was just a trailer message amaltom's had for under his posts, it was unrelated to this thread and so wasn't really meant for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the Floppy in BIOS. You have to Shut Down. Then when your computer first boots up you would need to hit the key to get to your BIOS; this is different on different machines common choices are F2, F10, F11, F12, Del(ete) or Esc(ape) ... usually this flashes on your screen as it boots up.

Once in the BIOS you would need to look for a reference to floppy drives enabled. I'm not sure it would apply to USB floppys but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try. It's possible you might have something like "USB Storage Support" in your BIOS peripherals, and I think maybe what you need enabled if you have that setting.

Ask a Question