SOLVED Floppy Disk Drive

Reaction score
For some reason "Floppy Disk Drive (A:)" has started showing up in Devices with Removable Storage. This PC has never had such an animal! If I go into Device Manager and uninstall it, it does disappear.....until the next reboot, and then it's back. How do I dump it permanently?

Reaction score
It sounds like it is "discovering" it when you boot. Are all of the devices accounted for or does it look like it is mistaking some device for a floppy drive? When you say it's showing up in Devices, are you just finding an entry for it in the device manager and no other indication or is a "drive" showing up in My Computer/Windows Explorer?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It may just be the controller showing up. Did you recently reset or flash upgrade your BIOS. You might go into the BIOS Setup Menu and disable the floppy controller.

Or, you may have a USB storage device connected to your computer that is registering as a floppy.

Ask a Question