SOLVED Copy cd pictures (jpeg) to flashdrive

Reaction score
Using Windows Explorer I wish to copy jpeg, pictures to a 64 GB flash drive. Explorer lists the BD-ROM drive as D:, but clicking on D: seldom displays ( 1 out of 20 trials) the name of the pictures of about 200 on the CD, they average 3 MB, so the disc has about 600 MB total pictures. Even then, when I select like 10 pictures and drag over to the memory stick, the computer idles and displays "preparing to copy". After a long time it starts to copy only one file and displays the message " Discovered 1 item" (out of the ten?) and "Time remaining : calculating" also "Speed remaining: calculating". By the way: this single picture is listed as 1.13 MB, none of the ten pictures are even close. That goes on for umpteen minutes and I can only turn the process off using Task Manager and can not open the drive unless I shut down the computer completely. Please advise, thank you.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
And how do you know that the files are correct on the BDRom? Were they verified when it was created? Have you opened it with another Blu-ray reader? Is this the same computer that created the BDRom in the first place?

If the drive doesn't see the files then maybe your Disc is corrupt or your BDRom drive may be bad. Try the Disc in another computer with a blu-ray drive and see if it is recognized there.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Or your CD Drive could be old or need a firmware update.

What is your hardware spec?
If your not sure, download CPU-Z and run it as Administrator. Go to the About tab and save the report as .txt (Text File). Then upload it to the forum.

Reaction score
And how do you know that the files are correct on the BDRom? Were they verified when it was created? Have you opened it with another Blu-ray reader? Is this the same computer that created the BDRom in the first place?

If the drive doesn't see the files then maybe your Disc is corrupt or your BDRom drive may be bad. Try the Disc in another computer with a blu-ray drive and see if it is recognized there.
Hi, thanks for reply
Yes, jpeg files are ok, they play in a blue ray player on my TV.
Why I want to transfer them to memory stick, because the CD plays very slowly in the blue ray player (Sharp), but any slide play from a stick is very fast, I can set the change from 5 sec to 60 sec at will.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You did not answer my last question ... was this disk created on the computer you are now trying to use to transfer them to flash drive?

If the answer to that question is No, then are you absolutely certain the computer has a BD-Rom drive, as DVD is still more the standard?

As Shintaro requested, providing your hardware specs could help answer my previous question.

Reaction score
First: Here are the specs:
Sony VAIO VPCL216FX/B computer
Intel(R)Core(T) i7-2630 QM
CPU @ 2.00 Ghz RAM 6.00 GB
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
PIONEER BD-ROM BDC-TD03
Your question: I am not sure that this particular disc was created on this computer or my previous (most likely) one and I m not sure that the old PC had a BD ROM or DVD.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well if this computer has the "PIONEER BD-ROM BDC-TD03" then it should be able to read Blu-ray, DVD, and CDs.

Now, if the disc you have was created on another drive it is possible it was never "closed". A disc that is not closed should only be able to be read from the same drive that created it. But, if that were the case, I wouldn't expect it to work in your Blu-ray player either.

So the next question: what is the file extension of the file(s) you can see on the disc? You may need to remove the check mark beside "hide extensions of know file types" ...
WindowsExplorer-ShowExt.jpg

Then post a screen shot of what it CAN see.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Just a quick question, when was the last time that you installed all the updates from Sony for your VAIO?

Because there seem to be a heap of updates for WINDVD that seem to be related to performance of your CD/DVD Drive.

Reaction score
Sorry fellows, I was out of town for a while.
It seems I have a hardware problem. When trying to copy, a number of files will do, but after a short while it crashes as above. Now I found that the disk in the the BD-ROM and the BD-ROM itself got warm, removing the disc it has a slight conical warp, when I wait to cool it flattens out and starts again and quits again after a few minutes. So it is not normal that the BD-ROM (and the disk inside) should get warm in a short time period. The PC itself is warm to the touch. Any suggestions?
Also I have some problems with Windows Explorer (not the Internet Explorer), I will start a separate post. Again, thanks for the help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is that normal, no. Lasers can get extremely hot for other uses, burning through steel etc but you don't really want that with a computer; maybe it is improperly calibrated.

Some Sony VAIOs were recalled for batteries overheating but I'm not aware of BD-Rom related issues.

Is your laptop [All-in-one] still under warranty? At the very least I suggest you report "My BD-Rom drive gets so hot that it is warping the disks and the laptop becomes hot to the touch" to Sony support.

Shintaro

Reaction score
There are some updates on the Sony site for that laptop. I think the updates include firmware updates. I would suggest that you make sure that you have updated the laptop from the Sony site first. It will be one of the questions that they ask anyway.

But if it is a physical hardware problem, then it will need to be replaced.

Reaction score
It is not a laptop,
VAIO VPCL216FX/B
Intel Core i7 2 Ghz
6.00 RAM Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Shintaro

Reaction score
Your right, it's not a laptop. I shouldn't try to do multiple things at once.
Your All-in-One is HERE.

I still recommend that you run those WINDVD updates.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Getting so hot that it warps the blu-ray disk and you can feel the heat through the computer just is not normal at all. It's a potential fire hazard and I think you need to contact Sony Support to see if there has been any kind of recall or replacement program. If it happened to me personally I would be alarmed and wouldn't want to use that player again.

Reaction score
I found that these problems exist on about a hundred discs I created 15 years ago when converting old slides from 1958 to 2000 but not on commercial, printed label discs. My discs have a paper label applied. And now the generated heat in the BD-ROM (which might be excessive or not) expanded the plastic cd-s more than the paper label causing a conical deformation. OOOps!
I salvaged and played the discs by having a small icebox next and kept cooling the discs before playing. Even so, sometimes I could only transform the half of the jpeg files, had to recool the disc to get the rest of them.
That was a surprise I never thought of.
So, thank your for your interest and advise, I hope we can now close this thread.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That is a very bizarre and unusual story but I'm glad you seem to have a solution that is working for you.

Ask a Question