First time building

Reaction score
So my father got some money lately and he knows that i wouldn't mine a new computer so he asked if i wanted to build or buy an already made one.. so i said i wanted to build one cos i wouldn't find a built one that is what i wanted and if i did would be probably cost way more then building it myself.

So out of his money i maybe getting around 1 to 1 and half grand to build computer a computer..

i could some ideas what i would like in this computer such has

• Intel quad core
  • DVD burner
  • between 4 to 8 gig ram
  • a good video card (i don't do gaming)
  • 2 x 1tb internal hard drives (networked computers)
What would you build with 1 to 1 and half grand?

Links to parts would be nice also :)

Reaction score
Don't forget about your power supply. If I was building my own I'd go for a 500w, which would give me some more option on the video end of things.

Cat

Reaction score
Hi Eros

And you will need a nice Case to install your hardware, you say you don't do gaming but cooling is important so my suggestion is the Antec 1200 >

Click on image to enlarge

Review on the Antec 1200

Reaction score
Can you give me a hard budget you'd prefer to stay in? $1000-1500 is a pretty wide range. Secondly, do you require every part of a PC, or are you saving your hard drive/monitor/peripherals?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just checking, is that AUD$?

AUD$1000 ≈ USD$800 ≈ GBP£500

Reaction score
Don't forget about your power supply. If I was building my own I'd go for a 500w, which would give me some more option on the video end of things.
Was hoping to get that has a deal with the Computer case i get =) dw i didnt forgot about the power pack

Hi Eros

And you will need a nice Case to install your hardware, you say you don't do gaming but cooling is important so my suggestion is the Antec 1200 >

Click on image to enlarge

Review on the Antec 1200
That is one nice case but my computer is always mostly on and i think the LED blue lights would been me awake cos i have one blue LED power button light on the one i have now and it lightens up my room heaps

was there anything about a switch for the LEDS?

Can you give me a hard budget you'd prefer to stay in? $1000-1500 is a pretty wide range. Secondly, do you require every part of a PC, or are you saving your hard drive/monitor/peripherals?
Yes i will need every part =) also i wouldn't mind saying on or under 1000 so i could leave around 500 for a screen and a little spending money on other things =)

Just checking, is that AUD$?

AUD$1000 ≈ USD$800 ≈ GBP£500
Using this website (http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html#)
i changed the

AUD 1000 = 801.821 USD

So yes your working out is about right

Hope this answered all your questions and hopeful you can answer mine =)

Reaction score
So.......

Start with the guts. The processor and motherboard, and work out from there, memory, video, etc.

Processor: Intel or AMD? Dual or Quad core? i7?
Motherboard: I have an Asus. I have heard good things about them.
Memory: DDR3. At least 4gb to handle 64-bit. But it is expensive, so DDR2 for budget. Maker? Corsair, reviewed HERE.

PC Perspective (http://www.pcper.com/) is a hardware review site. Might be a good place to start. They also have a podcast every week on TWIT.TV (Leo Laporte's Internet Tech TV site).

I'm going to follow along with you, I want to get a new comp in the next 6-8 months and, for a change, I'd like to build one.

Reaction score
So.......

Start with the guts. The processor and motherboard, and work out from there, memory, video, etc.

Processor: Intel or AMD? Dual or Quad core? i7?
Motherboard: I have an Asus. I have heard good things about them.
Memory: DDR3. At least 4gb to handle 64-bit. But it is expensive, so DDR2 for budget. Maker? Corsair, reviewed HERE.

PC Perspective (http://www.pcper.com/) is a hardware review site. Might be a good place to start. They also have a podcast every week on TWIT.TV (Leo Laporte's Internet Tech TV site).

I'm going to follow along with you, I want to get a new comp in the next 6-8 months and, for a change, I'd like to build one.
Thanks for the sites the processor will be intel and i am going down to a duo and also 4 gig ram and yes ASUS is a good brand my mother motherboard in my HP (one im now using) is awesome

Reaction score
Last but not least, can you list the websites you'll be shopping from?

Reaction score
i am using online stores to get a price range that it will cost..

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
i am using online stores to get a price range that it will cost..
I think Thrax means can you supply some URLs for the stores you can/will be using - as if we list things using UK/US stores it won't be as valid :) Just supply some links to places you can buy from in AUS as we can take a look.

Reaction score
So far this one has got me

http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

its close to where i live also
from here i have picked out

P5Q SE2 (mother) - $152
seagate 500 gig (1 hdd) - $71
4Gig kit 800 (2x2gig) - $63
1G 9400GT Galaxy (GPU) - $50
Q9650 (CPU) - $433
Creative Audigy Value (sound) - $44
Coolermaster Extreme Power+ 500 (power) - $79

havent yet got a case..
may look somewhere else so i can get the case and power pack and it would be about the same as the power alone

Reaction score
from here i have picked out

seagate 500 gig (1 hdd) - $71
Sigh....I remember paying $350 for a 100mb drive back in the early 90's.

Man, was I a sucker or what!:eek:

Nice selection you've come up with, I'll have to check it out & see what it translates to in Canadian loonies.

The podcast/review site I mentioned yesterday had a new podcast today in which they discussed a new AMD Phenom2 chip that sounds very interesting, and a $79US motherboard that is a great value for the features. HERE is that review, if you want to check it out.

Jeez...$350/100mb :banghead:

Reaction score
The P5Q-SE2 board has onboard sound
Audio:
VIA VT1708S 8 -Channel High-Definition Audio CODEC
- Support Jack Detection and Multi-streaming
- Coaxial S/PDIF out ports at back I/O
- ASUS Noise-Filtering
If this is enough, You can save the $44 for something else

Reaction score
Sigh....I remember paying $350 for a 100mb drive back in the early 90's.

Man, was I a sucker or what!:eek:

Nice selection you've come up with, I'll have to check it out & see what it translates to in Canadian loonies.

The podcast/review site I mentioned yesterday had a new podcast today in which they discussed a new AMD Phenom2 chip that sounds very interesting, and a $79US motherboard that is a great value for the features. HERE is that review, if you want to check it out.

Jeez...$350/100mb :banghead:
Woo thats alot just for 100mb o_O and that is one nice motherboard too but i want to stay with intel i have had a good run with them in the past so they hav got me for life atm =)

The P5Q-SE2 board has onboard sound

If this is enough, You can save the $44 for something else
AWESOME thanks for that i must of missed it =) love saving money lol

Reaction score
For a US $800 rig, you can do a lot better. Do you have any real etailers you shop at? That PDF is shady as hell.

Reaction score
That is the one shop im going to.. Got no choose its there go there were its cheaper then any shops around me.. its a 3 hours drive to that shop but its cheap

Ask a Question