SOLVED Firefox not saving new passwords

Reaction score
At some point (not sure when it happened) FF 3.6.6 stopped saving new passwords.
I have xmarks keeping all bookmarks new and old okay but not new passwords in spite of me telling it to save passwords in tools.options> security>remember passwords for sites.

Previously whenever I registered in a new site or updated a password FF would ask if I wanted to keep new password or discard it. That's not happening anymore.

Any ideas?

Is there some other add-on I've lost and forgotten about? I've had Xmarks for a long time and never had an issue with saving new passwords.

Last edited:
Reaction score
"Bump" any ideas? Been using FF 3.6.8 and everything else good but did not resolve the other issue.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Have you tried the add on "LastPass Password Manager"? I don't want my passwords saved, but I heard that was a good add on.

I don't know what's going on with saving passwords. Whenever I visit a site for the first time, it always asks me, but I decline. Have you tried disabling add ons one at a time, or disable them all, then you may find the problem.

Other than that, the only thing that I know would probably work, a complete uninstall & reinstall, the downside to that would be losing your bookmarks. I hope that you find an answer soon.

Cat

Reaction score
Yeah Cat, that's exactly what used to work for me on any new site I registered to It asked if it wanted me to save passwords.
The only add-ons I have are ones i had previously but wondered if there was one I'd forgotten that did the password saving thing. Or is that within FF itself?
I wont loose bookmarks if I do uninstall-re-install as Xmarks saves them for me.

I've not tried "lastPass Password Manager" is that a FF add-on or something else?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, it's a FF add-on. I looked it up after reading your post. It drew my attention, because it was a recommended add-on at one time. Hope it helps.

Cat

Reaction score
I tried it Cat but deleted it. It's not what I was using before as it asks you to create an account and I already have that with Xmarks. so is your FF asking for saved passwords without you having installed any other add-ons? If it is then that points to a fault in my FF itself.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Are you clicking the "Remember" tab when a password is entered?

If you're using CCleaner, it will wipe out the password cookie, unless you go to Cookies in the Settings section and select which cookies you want to save permanently.

Reaction score
Still no solution. Completely uninstalled FF and re-installed. Only Add-on I put back in was Xmarks and it did the full restore of bookmarks and passwords but STILL not saving any new log in details nor bringing up the "remember tab"

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's really odd. I've never had a problem with it, and use CCleaner daily, to delete temporary internet files, cookies, and other files that's no longer needed. Even in Mint, it asks me if I want to save the password.

When you uninstall FF, there's the option to save or delete settings, have you tried totally deleting these? I have never used Xmarks, so I don't know how that will be affected.

Also, if you are using CCleaner, are you checking all of the blocks related to FF? I do, every night. This issue is hard to nail down, but it probably boils down to something simple. I hope that you find it soon.

Cat

Reaction score
I know, wierd huh? The only thing I have not unchecked is "block pop-ups" but I would not have thought it would stop FF itself. I'll try that next.

Reaction score
Well I unticked the "block pop-up" in options, still wont ask for or save passwords.

It MUST be something with my XP re-install though I don't know what, but I'm thinking it must somehow be tied in with my Carbonite not working (another issue never resolved). There's been only two new sites/forums I've registered for since my re-install and in both cases I cannot save passwords.

So instead of focusing on FF can anyone think of anything within windows O/S that might be causing the problems.?

Ask a Question