Files locked for short period

Reaction score
From what I've heard many had this issue.. was fixed by windows update.. never got fixed for me... executable files that will bring up some kind of an interface like exe,cmd,bat will get locked after #creation,modification or running#... locked like.. if I create some simple batch script.. run it.. close the cmd.exe window.. the batch cannot be modified for another 30-60 seconds.. supposably "application is still running" while nothing really is.. also cannot be deleted.. if it gets deleted, after pressing F5 its back there as it was before...Same issue also persists with different programs.. if I would install game.. I'd have to wait several minutes before I could apply a patch... and then several more minutes to be able to apply another patch... all executable files seem to get locked up for some time. Now its really starting to piss me off... I have tried everything to get it working as it should! To be able to INSTANTLY modify files at my will when they are not active! I have tried everything.. doesn't seem to be a permissions issue.. I've tried that path. I'm not doing a reinstall because of this piece of $hit, but now its getting the way of my work!

Any ideas?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which AV software are you running (if any)? It could be this that is keeping a handle on the file after opening. If possible, try temporarily disabling your AV and see if this helps - just to rule it in or out.

Reaction score
eset nod32, turned it off completely, issue persists "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." :(

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Generally it is Windows Explorer that seems to have a lock on the files. Download and install Unlocker from our Freeware DB. It will show you what has a lock on the file and allow you to unlock it.

Reaction score
I have been using unlocker for years, excellent app. But it doesn't detect any locking handle for those locked files, if I try to rename,move or delete with it, tells me that it cant do it, asks me if I'd want to try it after a reboot.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Have you tried disabling your Anti-Virus software because maybe that is what has a hold of the file? (What AV are you using?) I don't suggest you run w/o AV permanently but disabling or removing it it is often a good way to check to see if it is the culprit; sometimes changing to a different one solves problems.

Ask a Question