SOLVED filenames on screensaver

Reaction score
This seems to be a question often asked but never answered!

How can you set Windows 7 to display filenames in my photos screen
saver slide show?

XP did it, but the feature was lost in Windows 7.

Allan

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It cannot be done with the included W7 slideshow screensaver. Comments to Microsoft can be made HERE.

You might try the slideshow included with Google Picasso, or there are others that allow for captions, but I'm not sure which if any provide a method to make the filename automatically be the caption.

Reaction score
Have found a possible solution. Copy ssmypics.scr from an XP machine to your Windows 7 machine.

You get the file & replace the file in C:/windows/system32

Reaction score
filenames in Windows 7 screensaver slideshow.

Copying the program from XP solved this for me. It also solved a minor nuisance. On Widows 7 screensaver it took 5 or 6 goes to get it to go back to desktop. Sometimes I got a message that screensaver was not working.

Going back to XP screensaver reminds me that return from screensaver in XP was immediate.

I am now getting immediate return on Windows 7.

Allan F

Reaction score
Screensaver -- Again

I copied the file from XP, but still don't know how to make it replace the original one in Windows 7. I can't remove it from System32.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm not sure ssmypics.scr exists in W7, I know I don't have one so you may not be replacing it, just copying the file there.

But windows\system32 is likely protected (normally you see a lock next to the folder in Windows Explorer); so if you get an error when you try to copy the file to system32 then you would first need to "Take Ownership" of the folder.

The easiest way to Take Ownership is to install the Take Ownership script and then in Windows Explorer you right-click on the folder and choose "Take Ownership" from the context menu.

Ask a Question