SOLVED File Transfer to new system

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a new boy to this so I trust that what I do is correct, any advice is appreciated.
I'm looking at a Dell XPS 8300, W7 home premium SP1 64 bit, 8GB ram, 2TB HD (opinions welcome)
It will have Office 10 startup pack. Can I delete this and install my Office 7?.
Can I save all my documents, photos etc to a USB drive and then transfer to new computer?
How do I handle on line paid for software such as antivirus programes to get them onto the new computer? Advice on transfering any other software would be appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
1st question, depends on what you want to do with the system; for an office machine it will do you for a long while, If you want to use it for a media PC it will be right, as long as it has a super integrated GPU or a low-mid range add-on GPU, For a gaming system, This is basic, and it'd need a very good high end GPU (GTX560Ti or AMD Radeon HD 6950 and higher, with a quad core or better CPU) but again it depends what you intend to use it for.

2nd Question, yes you can uninstall the Office 10 Start-up pack, via add/remove programs, and install office 2007.

3rd Question, yes, you can transfer Documents, Photos, Music and Videos to a USB Drive, and then put them on the new computer, but you can't do this for any installed programs.

4th question, I'm not too sure of.

Reaction score
Hi,
How do I handle on line paid for software such as antivirus programes to get them onto the new computer? Advice on transfering any other software would be appreciated. Thanks
Usually you'll receive an activation key when you first purchase the product. So just download it from the vendors website and type in the key when prompted.
Some vendors (like Symantec) have something like a personal account page with your purchased products and a download link. There it's just a matter of clicking the dowmload link from your purschased products page and install the program. Activation is automatic.

Ask a Question