File Sharing Set Up and Boost Speed

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Why would you want to weaken your encryption strength?

Reaction score
Its the only way older systems can connect to Win7. Its also within your own Network, so its really acceptable as the router still has it's maximum setting of WPA2 in my case.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If it's on a wireless network, it's still not very secure though, why wouldn't you just run everything through a ethernet? That's what I do for all 8 computers in my house upstairs and downstairs all into one router. Not that I was doing anything illegal, but I was able to bruteforce my own WPA2 encryption with rainbow tables in about 30 minutes. Wireless encrypted networks are just not as secure as people think (it depends on your allocated password of course too), but I won't do anything secure as of online banking or any other financial activity on my wireless. It also depends on your router type, if you have a Cisco, you should really just be unplugging it, stomping on it, and throwing it out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't have an ethernet cable long enough, as to my security, its excellent.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I believe lower levels of encryption were designed for outside the USA. I'm not sure it's still that way but at one point companies were not allowed to export goods with encryption that strong because the USA wanted to be able to crack them easier. So though you may need it for compatibility of older devices I do not believe everyone needs, nor should they use, that setting.

And yes Ace, of course, hard-wired is more secure but the world wants the convenience of wireless devices. Smartphones for instance will use your network when you are near an open wireless connection; nobody is going back to wired once they have that taste of freedom.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Good article.

I've known Homegroups sucked from the beginning but for a much simpler reason, you can't connect to XP computers.

I guess I'm just willing to live at 9% for the added security.

Reaction score
Every and anything i post is hopefully from a trusted source but tried by me prior to passing on the information. I also think my backup strategy is virtually flawless therefore I can safely experiment till the moon turns blue.

Ask a Question