faxing software

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Which fax software, proprietary and Open Source, would you recommend for faxing direct from word/excel etc. via a modem to remote fax machine? >10 years ago I ran WinFax on XP. I'm looking for a simple and reliable software for PC NOT for fax server like Hylafax.

TIA

B.R.
satimis

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If you're using Windows 7 it has it's own fax software built-in to the operating system.

Go the the START ORB and then click on "Devices and Printers", you'll see an icon labeled FAX. Click on that you're good to go as long as you have a modem card installed on your computer.

Reaction score
If you're using Windows 7 it has it's own fax software built-in to the operating system.

Go the the START ORB and then click on "Devices and Printers", you'll see an icon labeled FAX. Click on that you're good to go as long as you have a modem card installed on your computer.
Hi,

Thanks for your advice. I got it.

On the New Fax window where shall I add the tel. number of the distant fax machine?

One further question where can I test my fax machine not to disturb a friend? Is there a test site where I can send test-fax with automatic reply on receiving? TIA

B.R.
satimis

Nibiru2012

Reaction score

How Can I Test My Fax Machine?

I just hooked up a new fax machine, and I’d like to test it, just to make sure it works. How can I do that?

Presumably, you want to test your fax machine by sending a fax from it and receiving a fax with it. Here’s how to do both:

To test the send functionality of your fax machine, send a one-page fax to 1-888-877-1655 (a toll-free number in the United States.) When it’s finished transmitting, point your web browser to Fax Toy — it’s a fun web site that displays whatever is faxed to that number. Within a minute, your fax should appear on the site. Click the thumbnail to see a large version.

To test the receive functionality of your fax machine,
point your web browser to FaxZero: this site lets you send faxes for free to anywhere in the United States and Canada. Within a few minutes, your fax machine should ring — hopefully, it will automatically answer and spit out the test fax.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Open the FAX program and read the HOW TO in the window that appears on how to put in phone number, etc.

Reaction score
Hi Nibiru2012,

How about if outside USA and Canada? I came across HP before it offered a free service for testing their fax machine after sale

B.R.
satimis

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I found one site in Australia - Telstra.

Telstra used to have a service where you could test your fax machine by
sending a fax to 1300 368 909, and they would reply with a report.
You may have to Google It for a site in Europe or elsewere.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Fax ?? I thought that had died!! :D

B.T.W. I've got 48 cases of typewriter carbon paper for sale. I heard there was going to be a world shortage and prices would rocket!!

Still waiting :(

Reaction score
I've a grosse of 5.25 floppies. I was told people want something light and portable and I should get in early before the rush started.
Can also be used as drink coasters or mobiles/bird scarers.

Ask a Question