SOLVED External Hard Drive not showing up in Computer

Reaction score
This is strange all of a sudden my Iomega Professional 2.0 TB. eSATA/USB 2.0 external hard drive isn't showing up in Computer. It's showing up in Device Manager and it states it's working properly. It showed up yesterday, but tonight after having everything installed, updated and configured to my liking it all of a sudden doesn't show up. All drivers are updated as I did a motherboard/ram upgrade over the weekend and installed current drivers from MSI, AMD and Hauppage for all hardware.The only thing not updated is the bios and that's because it won't install per MSI's instructions. Also SUPERAntiSpyware found and removed a trojan. Malwarebytes and MSE came up clean. I ran all 3 before I attempted a image with Macrium Reflect. It didn't show the drive there, in Windows Backup or Computer. It shows up in the bios and in device manager. It's plugged in the eSATA port on the motherboard and the drive is turned on before booting up pc.

Attachments

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It should show up regardless, for hot plug 'n play the AHCI must be enabled in the BIOS.

Does this Iomega use any special software? Some external HDD units do.

Have you tried doing it as a hot plug 'n play ?

Reaction score
No. None of the Iomega software is compatible with Windows 7.After I posted I ran sfc /scannow and it fixed something.I then ran checkdisk.I'm not sure if it found any errors or not as it takes about 3 1/2 hours per internal drive. Still only shows up in bios and Device Manager.Macrium Reflect doesn't see it, nor does Windows Backup.Device Manager says it's working properly and it's power switch and light are turned on.I also, finally got the bios to flash and update to version 1.80 then 1.90.So that one's good now.I made MSI Live Update 5 save them on the desktop then I ran it in Windows and double-checked in the bios after both restarts.Got the memory timings correct through MSI's Control Center in Windows. I had to temporarily enable OC Genie Lite and mess this the memory timings.After they were okay inthe bios I temporarily disabled OC Genie Lite until this ones fixed.

Reaction score
Have you gone to computer management to see if it is showing up under disc management, This sometimes happens and no drive letter is assigned under disc management if it is there you may have to assign a disc letter

Reaction score
SOLVED. I fixed it. Either the 22 Windows 7/Office 2007 updates from yesterday's patch Tuesday or something MSI added somehow in the bios made it not show up in Computer. Weird thing is it was already formatted in Windows 7 and I used it Monday to retransfer all my files after the motherboard/ram upgrade and it showed up in Computer. SUPER Sarge I tried the Windows Hardware Troubleshooter. It found no problems. I then opened Disk Management and it said I had to format it. STRANGE, just like the new motherboard not originally recognizing my hard drives in SATA ports 1 & 2. After I moved them to 5 & 6. It recognized them. Iconfigured the bios, shut the pc off and rehooked them into ports 1 & 2 and it worked.There was something under hard drives in the bios called something Infinity. I assume MSI's Live Update 5 put it ther. I disabled it as the Iomega drive show's up as a Samsung.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good to go. Macrium Reflect image made. Backing up Documents, etc. tonight with Windows Backup.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Iomega does not make their own hard drives, they use 3rd party hardware and assemble them in their own cases, etc. That's why you see the Samsung drive listing.

Iomega is not near the company they once were back in the late 90s and early 2000s.

I always assemble my own external hard drives using the external cases and hard drives of my own choosing. Usually less expensive that way and more to my personal taste in case colors. If one can build a computer from various parts then putting an external drive unit together should be a piece of cake.

I would also suggest that you NOT use the MSI motherboard utility software. Many times these apps can cause problems and such. Also, don't ever attempt to update the motherboard's BIOS firmware through Windows. You're asking for trouble if you do.

Reaction score
Yeah, I may do the same thing and get a USB 3.0 case to put it in. I figured out what caused it to disappear from Computer before. It's MSI's OC Genie Lite. After using Over-Clock Genie it gives the external hard drive a second name, but still leaves the Samsung drive in the list also. I found a way around it that works. After you enable Over_Genie Lite in Windows after it restarts, immediately go into the bios anddisable the weird named drive and click Save & exit. While it restarts unplug eSATA cable from back of the drive and turn it off until Windows logon screen and re-plug it back in and turn it back on. Windows then shows it everywhere needed.

Reaction score
Macrium Reflect only toko 2-3 minutes for an image and 2-3 minutes to validate it. Windows Backup took well over an hour. I've got Diskeeper defragging it now before I turn it off and unplug it.

Reaction score
Yeah, I may do the same thing and get a USB 3.0 case to put it in. I figured out what caused it to disappear from Computer before. It's MSI's OC Genie Lite. After using Over-Clock Genie it gives the external hard drive a second name, but still leaves the Samsung drive in the list also. I found a way around it that works. After you enable Over_Genie Lite in Windows after it restarts, immediately go into the bios anddisable the weird named drive and click Save & exit. While it restarts unplug eSATA cable from back of the drive and turn it off until Windows logon screen and re-plug it back in and turn it back on. Windows then shows it everywhere needed.
A far better solution would be to do your Over Clocking the old fashion way in the BIOS,

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
A far better solution would be to do your Over Clacking the old fashion way in the BIOS,
Thank You Sarge! I told him not to use those MSI motherboard software apps but apparently he's doing his own thing.

The ONLY way to truly do a real overclock with any accuracy and stability is to do it directly in the BIOS.

Reaction score
I use the software one on my ASUS board TURBO V I set a setting I only increase the clock and memory settings and voltage one or two steps at a time. run Intell Burn run it that way for a day or 2 if no problems I then go into BIOS and make those settings permanent.
In his case it would be better to use the BIOS if the Genie software is screwing everything up then he does not have to disconnect anything at all.

Reaction score
Yeah, I had to use it in Windows to get my ram down to 1.50 volts per G-Skills settings. The bios only had Automatc for that, tRC and tRAS. I needed to set it to 9.0 CL, 9 tRCD, 9 tRP, 24 tRAS ,tRC 40 DREM Voltage 1.50 volts and 2T. I still can't figure out where to change the CPU Host/Bus Frequency to 240.

Ask a Question