evaluation W7 vs. regular W7?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
If by evaluation version you mean the Release Candidate or Beta from last year, then those have technically expired. You can still run at the least the RC but it'll nag you to buy Windows, and probably start shutting down every couple of hours soon - if it isn't at that stage already.

There's an evaluation (trial) version of the Enterprise edition. It should be fully functional for a few months.

If you're wondering if a trial version lacks something that a full version has, the features are the same; the trial just has an expiration date on it, doesn't have technical support, and is really intended just for evaluation purposes and not for production use.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The evaluation versions were a lower release number than the RTM of 7600.

Don't worry about it and just install the RTM or Gold release of Windows 7, you won't regret it.

Reaction score
OK, I have the Evaluation version of Windows 7 Pro that I won in a Giveaway a few months back..Is it worth the trouble of partitioning my hard drive and dual boot Windows 7 Pro with Vista??

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through just for evaluation software that will expire sooner or later. You could run it in a virtual machine, if you just want to see what the interface is like. Whether anything's worth the trouble depends entirely what your goal is.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
OK, I have the Evaluation version of Windows 7 Pro that I won in a Giveaway a few months back..Is it worth the trouble of partitioning my hard drive and dual boot Windows 7 Pro with Vista??
I don't know why someone or group would have a "giveaway" of Windows 7 Pro evaluation version when you could have downloaded it for free!

They weren't giving you anything special, you could have downloaded it yourself.

To answer your question about partitioning the hard drive. If you want to dabble with Windows 7 and try it, then sure why not? You can always change it later if you want.

I would put it on a dedicated partition so that if you decide to get rid of Windows 7 later you can by eliminating the partition.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info..Now my only question is, How do I run Windows 7 in Virtual machine?? I wouldn't mind doing that if it won't mess up my hard drive just to see what it's like..WH

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Setting up and running a VM is a piece of cake, once you are used to doing it. A really user friendly VM can be found at File Hippo. Go all the way to the lower left corner, there you will see Developer Tools. The latest edition of VM Player is there. You install it like any other program, and uninstall it the same way. As far as the OS within it, you have options at the top of the VM screen. A simple click deletes the OS and all of it's updates and programs. That is one of the advantages of a VM over dualbooting. When you want to evaluate an OS, try it through a VM, that way you don't have to partition your disc or even burn a CD or DVD to load your OS with. Your VM will find your disc image, you just have to select the image, it does the rest.

Reaction score
did the Vmware thing and it works like a charm..now i'd like to know if this is the real thing or not..do i go ahead and register it or wait to see if it runs out in june or starts cutting off or whatever it does..i've been on it for around 4 hours now and it hasn't showed me any message or anything..and will my antivirus program on my computer cover this VM too?? sorry for all the questions..but..i'd like to know and don't know where else to go to ask..WH

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
did the Vmware thing and it works like a charm..now i'd like to know if this is the real thing or not..do i go ahead and register it or wait to see if it runs out in june or starts cutting off or whatever it does..i've been on it for around 4 hours now and it hasn't showed me any message or anything..and will my antivirus program on my computer cover this VM too?? sorry for all the questions..but..i'd like to know and don't know where else to go to ask..WH
Yes, it's the real thing, you do need to register your copy of Windows, if they say it's required for continuing to use it. You do need to install an AV inside of the VM. Treat it as though you would a regular install, even though the VM is powered by your host OS, you still have to maintain the OS within it, just as you do your regular install. The plus about VM's is that you can simply uninstall it just as any other program. Best of luck to you, and enjoy your VM, I have 3 of them, and really enjoy using them. If you need further assistance, post back.

Reaction score
good deal..thank you catilley1092 for the info..now for the next question..if i register it on my VM will that register it to my machine and now that i know it's legit should i just go ahead and partition my hard drive and run it a long side my vista or just go ahead and do a full install? reason i'm asking is because i have my firewall and AntiVirus programs i've paid for on my Vista and don't really want to lose them..

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You really can do whatever you want. You can "shrink" your Vista partition without losing anything, if the program is like it is in Windows 7, just click Start, type "partition" w/o the quotes, and the option "Create and format disc partitions" should appear. But I have one question of you before you do this. Do you plan to keep this OS installed? You are going to have to reinstall it when the time limit runs out, so you may as well leave it in the VM until you have to reinstall. That will allow you to keep your settings intact, should you decide you don't want to pay the money for the OS. That is the great thing about VM's, you can evaluate different OS's, if you don't want them, trash them. But to answer your other concern, you don't have to lose anything. Before "shrinking" your main partition, make sure you have a good backup of everything. Usually, it goes without problems, but it's better to be safe than sorry. If you need anymore help, post back.

Reaction score
Setting up and running a VM is a piece of cake

Catilley,
You are very good at this IT stuff & I say this as an AWESOME COMMENT you really know what your doing & I admire that especially when I read a post you write I learn something new THANKS FOR THAT I am so glad I found this Forum WIN7 site as it has made my computer a much better enviroment again thanks catilley & windows 7 Forums
regards
Jeffreyobrien

Setting up and running a VM is a piece of cake, once you are used to doing it. A really user friendly VM can be found at File Hippo. Go all the way to the lower left corner, there you will see Developer Tools. The latest edition of VM Player is there. You install it like any other program, and uninstall it the same way. As far as the OS within it, you have options at the top of the VM screen. A simple click deletes the OS and all of it's updates and programs. That is one of the advantages of a VM over dualbooting. When you want to evaluate an OS, try it through a VM, that way you don't have to partition your disc or even burn a CD or DVD to load your OS with. Your VM will find your disc image, you just have to select the image, it does the rest.

Reaction score
The evaluation versions were a lower release number than the RTM of 7600.

Don't worry about it and just install the RTM or Gold release of Windows 7, you won't regret it.
The Gold release of WIN7 Ultimate Build 6.1 7600 X64 bit is the FINAL RTM everyone can check their EULAID :WIN7_RM.0_ULT_RTL_en-us.
I have this it's Black with GOLD RIM some are signed and as far as I can Honestly State the PARTY PROMO DISCS were NOT THIS BUILD as many of you would already know.

Party copy was an earlier build not that its very important now,the party is well and truely over I applied for one but missed out I was happy that Microsoft gave me the copies I have from Team WIN7 Manager I was happy to be given it.

I did however purchase WIN7 Home Premium but returned it and installed the RTM Ultimate for obvious reasons.
I read someone asked what about the COA,well GOOD QUESTION (RTM 7600) does not use the same method as Retail release due to WPA Method of Activation and with this build it comes with two versions a 32bit & X64bit only the 64bit has it's Key to register it and YES you can only have one copy running at one time because the both versions use same registration Key & this copy will never expire as it has WINDOWS ANYTIME UPGRADE for which as you all are aware "THERE IS NOTHING TO UPGRADE TO" just yet seeing WIN8 is already well on it's way here is a link for anyone interested here is a link to read about RTM & WIN8 btw there are photos of the RTM and also SIGNATURE SERIES BOXES AND DVD'S
regards
http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9419&start=25
JeffreyOBrien

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Catilley,
You are very good at this IT stuff & I say this as an AWESOME COMMENT you really know what your doing & I admire that especially when I read a post you write I learn something new THANKS FOR THAT I am so glad I found this Forum WIN7 site as it has made my computer a much better enviroment again thanks catilley & windows 7 Forums
regards
Jeffreyobrien
Thanks Jeffery, but really I'm just an intermediate user. I do like to play around with other OS's, and a VM is the perfect tool for my hobbies. That way, I don't screw up my "host" OS, which is Windows 7. Always create a restore point, no matter what you do, you can fall back on it. After a major change, always backup to a external drive. The default one in Windows 7 is the best one that has ever came with a Windows OS of any kind, you don't have to pay for a third party one. I do make mistakes sometimes, that's why I do the above practices, prevention is ALWAYS better than cure. No one can argue that point.

Reaction score
Vmware thing and it works like a charm

I AGREE VM works awesome and it was explained by catilley he is very smart especially with his ideas I admire IT Technicans because they go deep into the matters that are IMPORTANT yes he said "Prevention is always better than cure" I AGREE FULLY

Reaction score

Definetly not , just install W7 64 bit Pro or Ultimate.

Reaction score
evaluation W7 64 bit Pro or Ultimate Vs regular

Definetly not , just install W7 64 bit Pro or Ultimate.
zomby88 hello jeffreyobrien here listen mate try and install your copy make sure that you have the 64bit bios installed then re boot then with your Disc in the drive D (DVD+_RW) install the Ultimate Version or if your is Professional then it the RC version & not the RTM eitherway you can obtain a copy from Microsoft all you need to do if in Australia Dial 132058 ask for win 7 team management request the RTM (NOT FOR RESALE)Promotional Disc which is 7600 code named Vienna or whatever others reckon it was called its totally AWESOME I have Vista also & XP on three platforms and try VM it allows you to try all these O/S on VM which is also very cool
GOOD LUCK MATEY
Regards
jeffreyobrien

Reaction score
Hello Jeff

Seriously, just install W7, and use your time and energy upgrading your hardware.

Ask a Question