New standards released for SSD evaluation, rating

Reaction score
New standards released for SSD evaluation, rating
The JEDEC Solid State Technology Association announced today that its standards subcommittee has released two new standards for evaluating the reliability and endurance of solid-state drives. As more SSDs appear on the market, JEDEC hopes to use the new standards to "reduce market confusion, facilitate broad adoption and alleviate product quality and reliability concerns." This should be a benefit to consumers looking to compare SSDs from different manufacturers and make purchasing decisions that accurately meet their needs.

The new system will replace the previous method of testing "mean time between failure" with two new metrics: JESD218 Solid-State Drive Requirements and Endurance Test Method and JESD219 Solid-State Drive Endurance Workloads. Further class ratings will be set to differentiate between consumer and enterprise levels of performance. JEDEC's comprehensive approach to defining these performance factors "will go a long way towards enabling market confidence in SSDs,” said Scott Graham, Vice-Chairman of the JC-64.8 flash memory subcommittee. A solid-state drive tutorial is planned for October 5th in San Jose to help with introducing and implementing the new standards.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I wanted one of those drives, WD offers a "SiliconEdge" Blue 256GB one, but the price is still out of reach for me. And a 64GB drive doesn't even come close to meeting my needs, even if it were on a notebook.

As with everything else, something new will come along, and we'll be getting 1TB SSD's for a couple of hundred dollars. Fads wear off, and new ones comes along.

But it's good to read that there's action being taken to make sure that there are minimum standards for SSD's. Hopefully, they'll be enforced.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
64 - 128 GB SSDs are the most common sizes sold. The reason is is because a "normal" computer user usually won't fill up a 64GB drive. They store the other stuff such and docs, files, video & audio, etc., on another drive.

I have several geek and uber-geek friends and associates who have anywhere from 64 - 128 GB SSD drives and absolute love them But then we were amongst the first I know of to partition the hard drive and set aside a dedicated primary partition for the operating system and software separate from the other stuff. We thought it would improve the boot-up and system efficiency.

Plus they don't run three to four operating systems on the same drive.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Most likely, when I get another notebook, I'll have to give one of those SSD's a shot. All reviews that I've read on them have been positive (except price, of course). I could probably get by with the 128GB one, with ease. I have 4 OS's installed on a 100GB notebook drive now, so I could cut that down to 2, and be happy. The price of the 256GB one is way out of reach for me, the only way that I can afford that would be to have a discount code from Newegg.

As I understand it, SSD's read & write much faster than mechanical drives do, you don't have to defrag, in fact I've read that you do not defrag them, period.

I could buy that, and use the stock drive as a backup one. Hopefully, the price will edge down a little more before I buy one.

Cat

Ask a Question