Edit of Right Click Menu question

Reaction score
[/IMG]

Looking to remove: M/S Access Database; Bitmap image; M/S Powerpoint
Presentation; M/S Publisher/ Briefcase;
And maybe: Contact & Compressed (zipped) folder.

I came across and method by of a Registry edit, but seemed to see
Briefcase listed.

(attempting to link a picture)

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There are numerous places that control the context menus. I suggest you look over EduGeek or The Windows Club or How-to-Geek.

And to add a picture to the forum, just make sure it is a small jpg and click the Upload a File button (next to the Post Reply button).

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yeah, the Microsoft Office stuff should be easy to remove.

To edit the context menu I use CCleaner from our Freeware DB because I already have it installed. In CCleaner I select Tools > Startup > Context Menu (Tab) and there you see a list. I suspect your Office items will show there and you can Disable them.

The briefcase one, according to the EduGeek posting, can be removed by editing the registry and deleting the "ShellNew" folder from
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Briefcase

Reaction score
RE:
To edit the context menu I use CCleaner from our Freeware DB because I already have it installed. In CCleaner I select Tools > Startup > Context Menu (Tab) and there you see a list. I suspect your Office items will show there and you can Disable them.

I do not see a Context Menu tab.

Reaction score
I'm using the portable version of CCleaner, will try the full version.

Reaction score
Well so far none of the above suggestions allow me to remove : M/S Access Database; Bitmap image; M/S PowerpointPresentation; M/S Publisher; Contact & Compressed (zipped) folder from Rt Click / New ...
(see my screenshot above)

Any other suggestions?
Thx

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Sorry, the CCleaner tool is for actual entries applications make on the same level as "new" by installed programs.

You are actually talking about the "New" submenu of the context menu,and it is handled the same way as the briefcase method above. Each item is based on the file extension (type) of the file that will be created.

So open the registry editor ...

... Microsoft Access Database ... delete ...
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.accdb\Access.Application.14\ShellNew

... Contacts ... delete ...
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.contact\ShellNew\command

... Microsoft Word Document ... delete ...
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx\Word.Document.12\ShellNew

... Microsoft Powerpoint Presentation ... delete ...
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pptx\PowerPoint.Show.12\ShellNew

... Microsoft Publisher Document ... delete ...
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pub\Publisher.Document.14\ShellNew

... Microsoft Excel Worksheet ... delete ...
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xlsx\Excel.Sheet.12\ShellNew

IMPORTANT: Before deleting/changing to each section I suggest you first Export it, saving it with a descriptive name like AccessDB, contacts, etc. This way if it causes other unwanted side-effects you can run the exported reg file and it will restore your registry entries.

Note: The ##s in each path are probably different if you are not using Office 2010 like I am.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I got the answer by testing on my own system until I got rid of the New > entries of the first three, so I know it will work in that sense. But I didn't try actually using the Office programs afterwards, so just Export first, in case it causes problems elsewhere.

Reaction score
Success !
Thanks.
By chance whats the link for Bitmap Image?
Would it be "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\ShellNew" and delete that subfolder?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't have that one but it fits with the pattern, just export it first so if it doesn't do the trick you can always restore it.

Ask a Question