E Editions might be cancelled

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Very interesting... this seems more sensible than not including a browser at all:

The European Commission can confirm that Microsoft has proposed a consumer ballot screen as a solution to the pending antitrust case about the tying of Microsoft Internet Explorer web browser with Windows. This followed extensive discussions with the Commission which centred on a remedy outlined in the January 2009 Statement of Objections (see MEMO/09/15) whereby consumers would be shown a "ballot screen" from which they could – if they wished - easily install competing web browsers, set one of those browsers as a default, and disable Internet Explorer. Under the proposal, Windows 7 would include Internet Explorer, but the proposal recognises the principle that consumers should be given a free and effective choice of web browser, and sets out a means – the ballot screen - by which Microsoft believes that can be achieved. In addition OEMs would be able to install competing web browsers, set those as default and disable Internet Explorer should they so wish. The Commission welcomes this proposal, and will now investigate its practical effectiveness in terms of ensuring genuine consumer choice.

Reaction score
I believe that was what Opera initially asked for - the Monopolies commisssion presumably passed it on to MS.

The devil is in the detail, of course.

If it is agreed - interesting to see what happens next.

Will MS add something to the o/s they already signed off?

Will the E editions remain and have a ballot screen added, yet still be without IE8?

Will MS withdraw the E edition ?

If the E edition is withdrawn - will MS honour the pre orders for the Full editions - or will they try and replace those with upgrade editions?

I doubt they will try pull that last stunt.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Opera originally asked for all the major browsers to be included on the Window 7 install disc. :rolleyes:

Opera's CTO is "concerned" that this new approach MS has proposed requires an active internet connection and is looking into the details before they decide completely whether they will swing with it or not. If I could customize Firefox like I could Opera I'd switch in a heartbeat, I'm really starting to dislike the company.

There are several good reasons for not including other browser software on the install disc, so I don't see how Opera can just dismiss them in the interest of maximiing their pitifully tiny market share.

As far as the pre-rders are concerned, it will likely ruffle some feathers but I'm sure Microsoft will honor the pre-orders. Those that pre-ordered the full version at upgrade version prices will probably get the full version, if I had to guess.

Ask a Question