Driver & Utilities Issues when going from W7 32bit to 64bit

Reaction score
First, let me apologize in advance if these questions have been asked before. I did a quick search, but I need answers fast, so I figured I would just post.

I bought a 64bit capable Dell Vostro 1520 and it was supposed to come with 32 and 64bit versions of W7 Home Premium. It only arrived with 32bit installed and with a 32bit CD. Dell is sending me a 64bit DVD. My question is this: once it arrives, I will do a clean reinstall to get 64bit W7 running, but will I need different oem driver discs than the ones that Dell provided in the package? The discs do not specify 32 or 64bit drivers, so I am thinking they probably have both sets on them. Will I need to ask Dell for a 64bit driver cd as well in order to ensure all the hardware on the computer runs correctly once I switch to 64? Thanks for your help and advice!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You could ask Dell for a driver disc, but it would be quicker just to download them from Dell's website.

Just look for your model of Dell computer and then download the 64 bit drivers for it, all of them that apply. Then burn them to a CD-R disc or save to an external hard drive or thumb drive.

Now you can use BING and Ixquick search engines to find the Windows 7 ISO image file downloads.

Copy and paste the "X15-*****.iso" without the quote marks into Bing or Ixquick and search from there.

64 bit Home Premium: X15-65733.iso

Then you can dowload the ISO image file and burn it to a DVD with ImgBurn. You won't have to wait for DELL to ship you a disc.

It's about a 3GB download.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It is legit, as long as you have the proper key. You won't have all of the bloatware that Dell bundles with their computers. As long as your key is for a Home Premium 64 bit, you're good to go.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
AS you are expecting a full 64Bit DVD, it won't matter? I doubt Microsoft would be too concerned if you found a download site. The actual use of the download, which includes a legit key, is the legal part - This you have. But many unauthorised sites for OS downloads, are notorious for providing hacked versions, or even a few conntaining malware of all flavours.- The risk is yours

If the Dell computer is 64Bit compatible, you may be lucky enough, during the installation, to find that Windows 7 will probably have the drivers you need, already on the DVD. But as Niburu points out, it may be easier to download those you still require, from the Dell site.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
As long as it's from Digital River, you're fine. I have two myself, one for a backup to my main PC, and one running on my laptop that's been reinstalled twice, with no issues.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Is that a legit way to get windows7? Or will I have a "non-authentic" copy?
That is how I got my copy of Windows 7 Professional x64.

It is the ACTUAL Microsoft ISO image as sold on their install DVDs.

It is all legitimate and you won't have any issues with your product key since it's tied to the Home Premium edition.

The Windows 7 product key will work with either the 32 bit version or 64 bit version.

Last edited:

Ask a Question