Driver Selection

Reaction score
If I tell any motorcar's Main dealer the VIN number of my car, they can almost immediately tell where it was built, the exact model, what engine & transmission it has & many other details. When I tell a computer manufacturer such as Acer my Laptop's Model & Serial No. they don't appear to know very much e.g. they offer me several graphics drivers, several sound drivers, further choices of camera drivers etc. etc. all supposedly for the same Operating System. If the manufacturer of the laptop cannot be more specific, then how is the innocent owner supposed to decide which drivers to download & use?

Reaction score
Press the Start button. Right click/press Computer.Choose Properties.

Reaction score
"If I tell any motorcar's Main dealer the VIN number of my car, they can almost immediately tell where it was built, the exact model, what engine & transmission it has & many other details"
Well, your post was a bit confusing - I thought you wanted to view details of your
computer.

Reaction score
Seems you may not have understood my question. The laptop clearly needs drivers for various pieces of hardware (e.g. Audio, Graphics, Card reader etc. etc. but the manufacturer offers numerous drivers for the hardware without stating which ones to use for my laptop. For example it offers three different graphics drivers, three Audio drivers etc. as well as one Chipset driver that wouldn't install because it wasn't suitable for my model (the notice said). All the drivers offered were for the laptop I have & it's details were found automatically by their own system. All I had to do was select the OS which of course I did.

If I had just said the laptop was a certain model (i.e. without the SNID or Serial No.) then I would understand why I was being offered multiple drivers, but the site specifically requested the exact model details which I gave. Now perhaps you will understand?

Ask a Question