Driver problems

Reaction score
After installation of Windows 7 OS (64 bit) Professional, I am missing the following drivers:-
Mass Storage Controller
Network Controller
Ethernet Controller
SM Bus Controller
PCI Simple Communications Controller
Broadcom USH
Unknown Device.
There is also a driver problem with the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.

I assume that this is the reason why I cannot get an internet connection.
(Incidentally, the computer is a Dell Latitude E6420 Laptop; prior to the installation, the hard drive was formatted, and had no viable operating system.)

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes drivers make things communicate including the network card or wireless cards. There are several different E6420s so get the right version. Go to Dell Support and get the drivers.

Reaction score
Yes drivers make things communicate including the network card or wireless cards. There are several different E6420s so get the right version. Go to Dell Support and get the drivers.
Thank you for your reply.

I have tried repeatedly to access 'Drivers & downloads' on the Dell website Support page, using the Service tag and Express Service Code from the E6420 I am trying to fix.

They will not let me in, perhaps because the laptop I am using is a Dell Inspiron 1018 and (I presume) they think I should be requesting stuff for the Inspiron and not the Latitude.

Obviously I can't access their website from the E6420 'cos I have no Internet access without the drivers. I'm going round in circles! (I've also tried to download drivers from 'microsoft.com/en-us/download/driver.aspx with the same result - none.)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The auto search won't work but using manual search from diff machine should not matter. Try the last option when you pick laptop > Latitude and then find the proper E6420 (I saw 3 or more of them)

Make sure you are not blocking them with browser add-ons like adblockplus or site blockers such as peerblock or a local hosts file.

Reaction score
The auto search won't work but using manual search from diff machine should not matter. Try the last option when you pick laptop > Latitude and then find the proper E6420 (I saw 3 or more of them)

Make sure you are not blocking them with browser add-ons like adblockplus or site blockers such as peerblock or a local hosts file.
When I am on the Dell Support webpage, a picture of my laptop appears - a Latitude E6420 (early 2011), with the correct Service Tag and Express Service Code, so I presume they know what E6420 it is. I still cannot gain access to the 'Downloads & drivers' section on the Support page.

I tried calling Dell and was eventually connected with a software engineer. He told me the warranty was out of date. Also he said there was a 'motherboard issue' because during the installation of Windows 7 Pro, I was not asked to confirm the 25 character Product key. He said that he could give me the required drivers for a fee of about £130! I protested to him that I had just paid around £100 for the Win 7 OS. He then gave me one internet link, and said that he would send another on an e-mail. After trying both these I ended up back on the same Support page, with no access to 'Downloads & drivers...

I'm getting a bit tired of all this. Any help would be much appreciated.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
have you tried a different browser or running in safe-mode/InPrivate mode. It sounds likely that your browser or add-ins is blocking the Dell drivers site. Also products like Peerblock can block sites like that, as could a firewall.

Ask a Question