Anyone Having Problems with ATI Drivers and 64 Bit Win 7

Reaction score
From what I understand this is a known problem with ATI drivers and Windows 7- 64 bit OS. One problem is the cursor keeps changing sizes to about 4 times larger. If you reboot it fixes itself. But after more use it keeps changing. I also get a Black screen with freeze when trying to play a U tube video. ATI has a Hot fix out for the cursor thing but it doesn't help the Black Screen / Freezing.
Hot Fix Here: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst912Hotfix.aspx

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Redrum, not had any problems myself but I'm sure some may find this useful :top:

Reaction score
Your welcome.. Now all I need to do is get those lockups fixed while watching any online videos. I can run any benchmarks or watch vids I download but nothing on the web such as steaming FLV files. Its only happening to certain vid cards from what I'm gathering.I just put this 5770 in and thats when it started.

Thanks...

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
No problems here with ATI cards or drivers.

Reaction score
Is there anyone NOT having problems with ATI drivers?
I think my ATI cards have suffered the infamous ATI infinite loop BSOD for a period of over 8 years, 6 cards, and 3 operating systems two of which in both 32 and 64 bit versions...
I've learned not to hope for much from ATI drivers...

However, what you're talking about sounds a lot more like bad codec settings.
The new ATI cards can hardware decode almost all modern video formats, including .flv. The problem is in how they interact with the operating system...
Try turning off hardware video decode and see if that solves the problem. Depending on both card and codec settings and software the place to change these features can vary greatly, so I can't really help you out in the where to change this department.

No idea about the mouse thing.

For the record, I'm running an XFX Radeon HD4850 1g gddr5 with catalyst 2009.1124.2131.38610
OS is win7 ultimate 64 bit
.net is 2.0.50727.4927

I've had a lot more issues with ATI's drivers handling the overclocked computer RAM on my machine on Winxp 32bit. So far not a single issue in the graphics department on windows 7 64 bit.

Reaction score
I had just put this Vid card in last week and I thought it was a problem that started with it. But now after it going into sleep mode and when I wake it up its blinking on and off. And that is taking things back to my first post here with my other vid card in this machine. Look here:
https://www.w7forums.com/display-keeps-blinking-t3034.html

So now I know its within Windows 7 64 bit and ATI drivers probably. Not anything to do with this card cause it started when Windows 7 went on the machine. I had an older X1900XT in when I loaded Win 7 and it started then.

The mouse cursor thing is a known issue with drivers. ATI has addressed that with Hot fix Drivers found here:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst912Hotfix.aspx

I read Omega will have new drivers in a week or so. I always used them instead of ATI so I will go back to them again. Never had problems with those.

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I used ATI's Vista drivers for Win7rcx64 until they rolled out 7-specific drivers. I've updated to the most recent 64-bit drivers as they've become available, and have had zero issues.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
If one just downloads the latest drivers from ATI
ATI Catalyst™ 9.12 Suite for Windows 7 (64 bit) Dated 12-16-09

The hofix is applicable to the following items:

• Software:
    • Call of Duty Modern Warfare
    • City of Heroes
    • Resident Evil 5
    • Enemy Territories: Quake Wars
    • Heaven benchmark
    • Wheelman
    • Riddick
  • Hardware:
    • ATI Radeon HD 5970 Series
    • ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
    • ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
    • ATI Radeon HD 4000 Series
    • AMD FireStream™ 9200 Series
  • Operating System:
o Windows® 7 32-bit Edition
o Windows® 7 64-bit Edition
o Windows® Vista 32-bit Edition
o Windows® Vista 64-bit Edition
o Windows® XP Vista 32-bit Edition
o Windows® XP Vista 64-bit Edition
o Linux x86
o Linux x86_64

Basically the hotfix is just for a few games and a few ATI graphics cards. Plus it's not just Windows that is affected, so is Linux!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I used ATI's Vista drivers for Win7rcx64 until they rolled out 7-specific drivers. I've updated to the most recent 64-bit drivers as they've become available, and have had zero issues.
Ditto for me too! But then I have an HD 3850 card. I am not a huge gamer, my ADD gets in the way.

Reaction score
I tried it with the latest 9.12 drivers and get the oversized pointer cursor. Thats what I used the hot fix for:

ATI Catalyst 9.12 Hotfix

Last Updated

12/16/2009 Article Number

GPU-42 Hotfix that resolves the mouse being enlarged under Windows® 7, improves performance of OpenGL games, Provides CrossFireX™ support for Eyefinity & Provides support for OpenCL

Reaction score
the pointer issue is more specific to the 5770 cards, as far as i can tell the 79 and 78 are ok...
dont hold me to that

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
HD4850 on Win7x64 with most recent 64-bit Catalyst. No pointer issues now or in the past, not even on Modern Warfare.

Reaction score
The pointer issue can be on 5870 or any 5XXX series card. I spent the day looking around and lots of people are more than mad about all this. The black screens and freezing come from the card ramping back and forth between 2D and 3D too quickly and the cards freeze. Best fix for that right now is either modify the bios so it stays in 3D mode or till somebody gets their act together and makes drivers that fix their screw up. Beta 10.1 is out now and ATI should have finished drivers on their page within a few days I hear. A guy posted a message that sheds a little light on this.

Just got off the phone to OcUK.
It turns out that they have just recieved a message from ATI reguarding this issue. ATI have just admitted that the card will only run properly on motherboards with PCI-E 2. Older motherboards using PCI-E 1 will not work properly, despite the system requirements not stating this. ATI have effectively miss-sold this product to all producers of the HD5770. The engineer from OcUK stated that allthough a new batch will be brought out soon to resolve this issue, they will not RMA the card as they will test it on Mobo's using PCI-E 2 only.
Any attempts to get a refund from ATI will be passed on to the companys that produced the cards, leaving it to them to decide wether to refund their customers.
I'm appauled that this is acceptable practice for a reputable hardware producer.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I don't think ATI was pulling a fast one. It just that most people who go with latest and best video cards USUALLY have a fairly new motherboard. Also its usually the gamers who get the latest cards and usually they also have the latest processors and mobos.

It's disingenuous of you to say that ATI "effectively mis-sold this product". That's an assumption. The PCI-Express 2.0 specification has been out since Jan 15 2007. That's a 3 year old technology.

Reaction score
Lets get this straight here ! That bottom part was copied and pasted from another hardware fourm. It is NOT my quote !!!

End of Sentence !

Have a Good Day!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Then you should have stated that in your post. It is a common courtesy, and to protect the Administrators of this website, to give credit and the source to any postings from other forums, websites, news organizations and so forth.

This is to avoid copyright infringement and charges of plagiarism.

Being snippy won't improve things either! :thumpdown:

Ask a Question