Driver letter changes after each restart

Reaction score
Well hello people, im new to windows 7 and new to this forum.

I am having a problem with my DVD drive, each time i reboot the computer the drive letter changes, and I am unable to use the drive.

Well not always but most of the time and if it is working, the moment I log to the internet throw my Huawei it stops working.

Is it something wrong with the drive?
Is there something wrong with the modem?
Or is this a virus?

I really hope you guyz know.

EDIT: Now its not there, the computer seems to not recognize the DVD drive :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your drive is dead, mate. Time for you to buy a new one--they run about $30.

Reaction score
Well i reconected every drive in my comp and its working fine again, the problem now is the internet thing, aparently now its only happening when i connect to the internet

Reaction score
Well i reconected every drive in my comp and its working fine again, the problem now is the internet thing, aparently now its only happening when i connect to the internet

Yeah, even XP would reassign your drive letters if it detected that a prior drive had been disconnected. A loose cable would look like that.

I never bothered to figure how to stop it, but it isn't a problem after you get your hardware installed. I did disconnect and reconnect drives to get the drive letter order assignment I wanted.

In XP you could also change drive letter assignments in device manager, but in Windows 7 it looks all different.

Also, some (maybe all) of the USB Flashdrives I connect get unique drive letter assignments, even though they are all connected to the same USB port.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If you did an upgrade install, that may be the culprit. Quite a few people have experienced problems with the upgrade install versus doing a clean install.

You might try doing a clean install and see if that corrects the problem.

Ask a Question