SOLVED Driver for HP 1022n with Windows 7 Enterprise

Reaction score
My workplace has moved up to Windows 7 Enterprise (64 bit), and I'm now not able to use my HP 1022n printer.

I found the site to download the 1022n driver, but halfway through the process I get an error message that the driver isn't connected to a USB port on my computer. But it IS connected, and I've tried every port. (I've also tried unplugging, disconnecting, turning off, and then replugging, reconnecting, and turning on everything.)

Our tech support folks tell me that the problem is Enterprise. (The HP1022n is apparently compatible with other versions of Windows 7.) Before I ditch my printer, I want to confirm that they're right.

FYI, I use the HP1022n as a stand-alone printer, not through a network.

Does anyone know how to get the driver to download in Enterprise?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, you are confusing me with your terminology. Is it that it won't download or that it won't install?

Downloading would be the process of retrieving the driver from elsewhere, such as the HP website, and storing it locally, such as on your computer hard drive. This process is totally independent of your printer and, for that matter, the version of Windows. However, this specific driver's install package IS an executable (runnable application) and for security reasons your company may prevent you from saving exe's; many companies do not want employees installing software on company machines. This would be corporate software or policy settings that would prevent saving of files with a .exe extension, it would NOT specifically be "because it is Enterprise Edition". To my knowledge, enterprise edition functions exactly the same as Windows Ultimate except for pricing, licensing and activation options. So to be clear, is it that you cannot "download" the HP 1022n driver installation file from the HP website (BTW download the troubleshooter diagnostic utility too)? .... or is it ...

that you cannot "install" the driver? If the driver is actually downloaded to your hard drive but then you cannot run it; that would be an "Installation" problem rather than a "download" problem. For installation, the driver has to be compatible with the bit-size of your OS (32 or 64), not the edition, and this driver IS 64-bit compatible so it should work on any W7 64-bit edition. However, again, it is possible for your corporation to prevent unrecognized executables/applications from running.

From the sounds of it you have downloaded the driver and you are able to start the install but then it says it cannot detect the device as being connected to your USB port. So if it is in fact an installation problem but you do have the needed administrator privileges to install the driver then the next step would be to try and run the diagnostic utility to see if it can detect the problem. It has step by step instructions.

NOTE: It is also possible for corporations to lock down USB ports to prevent installation of foreign hardware but again this would be corporate security settings and can be changed if they are willing, not a "will not work because it's Enterprise edition" reason.

So what I'm saying is, from what I can find, this driver is compatible w/ 64-bit so if they are willing it should be possible to install but you have to have the proper authorization to download and save the exe, the authorization and administrator privileges to run the exe and install the driver. And the USB port cannot be locked down with security settings and/or software.

Typically a person with Administrator privileges would have to log on to your computer and run the driver installation software and then it would work. I'd suggest having that person come to your desk and run the diagnostic utility because this printer is supposed to be 64-bit compatible and Enterprise shouldn't matter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry, I did mean "install," not "download."

I'm able to download and install other software on my machine, so I don't think administrative privileges are the issue.

I also did run the diagnostic tool, but it simply told me that the 1022n printer is not installed, and then it takes me right back where I started--selecting my printer from the list and giving me the opportunity to get the installer. I also read through the other supporting guidelines, checked the Print Spooler, etc. (The Print Spooler's status is "started," and set for "automatic.")

The error message again tells me that I need to connect the printer to the computer via the USB port--which it is--along with a little pop-up window stating that it's "Waiting for user to connect the device."

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Usually the printer should NOT be connected until you start running the install. What happens when you run lj1020-HB-pnp-win64-en.exe? Is that when it asks you to connect to a USB port? Are you sure the USB cable isn't bad? Also, can you test the USB port ... plug in a USB flash drive and see if that is detected and functions?

I downloaded the driver and it's fairly basic, just one for a 32-bit install and one for 64-bit so run it and then go to control panel > device manager and see if the driver is installed (a driver may be installed but say the device is not functioning properly), so see if it did install.

Essentially, everything I've read and looked into says it should be possible to make it work but you need to verify the port functions, the cord isn't bad, and that the driver installed.

Reaction score
I checked the cable and the port, and both are fine. The driver isn't installing though. It gets stuck every time midway through, asking me to "Connect via the USB Port." I did as you suggested--not connecting until that point--and nothing happens.

Reaction score
Printer

I had the same problem with my Lexmark printer when upgraded to Windows 7 ultimate. I changed all the firewall settings, the change all the use access, and nearly went to registry edit.

I like to keep my printed documents so that if one gets damaged I can always reprint it. So, the last driver listed for my Lexmark printer was for Vista 64-bit; I downloaded it and discovered it was a duplicate copy that I had downloaded before.

So I unplugged my USB cable and instead of updating my printer. I installed a second copy. As I suspected the correct history was gone... I mean spooled history. So I went to IE 9 and printed with a duplicate copy all was fine except everything had been reset to factory defaults. I went back to the original copy tried printing and got the same error. So now I just need to figure out how to use another persons\printers spooled history. Hope this helps. Please pass it on if anyone has any suggestions for this last criteria. Let me know.

Ask a Question