Drivers for HP Laserjet 1022n printer

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an HP Laserjet 1022n connected to a D-Link DI-624 router in my small home network. It works fine with all 5 computers (2 Windows XP desktops, 1 Windows XP laptop and 2 Windows Vista 32 bits laptops).

Now I'm adding a new computer that will run with Windows 7 Professional 64 bits. As this printer is not compatible with the 64 bits version and "manufacturer's drivers must be installed" (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/co...=HP&uid=Q5913A&pf=0&pi=0&s=hp 1022n&os=32-bit) and as there is NO drivers at HP web site to connect that printer via a router (just locally USB), searched this forum to see if someone else already experienced that same problem.

Found thread "HP Color LaserJet 2600n Drivers..." by woochomin (https://www.w7forums.com/hp-color-laserjet-2600n-drivers-t1263.html) where he tells that, as he couldn't find drivers for his HP Color LaserJet 2600, used drivers for Vista 64 bits and it worked just fine.

Question: can I use the same reasoning in my case (download Vista 64 bits for my 1022n)?

Those drivers can be found in http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2100&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=439323

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Fernando

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It may, it a lot of cases (mine, too) a 64 bit Vista driver was found, and it worked. A lot of the time, it does. But if it doesn't, all is not lost. You can install a VM inside of Windows 7, just like any other program, and run it. I noticed you are running Pro, as I am. If you hardware is capable of virtualization, you can download and install Windows Virtual PC w/XP Mode. It's free from Microsoft, it's a pre-activated copy of XP Pro SP3. If your hardware is not capable, there's VMLite, it uses the same copy of XP Pro. But hopefully, the Vista drivers will work out for you. Should you need further assistance, feel free to post back, we'll see what we can do to help.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
falvares, there's been new developments regarding XP Mode. You no longer have to meet the hardware requirement to run it. You still have to have Pro, Enterprise or Ultimate. But not having to meet that hardware requirement will allow far more users to take advantage of this program. Hopefully, your drivers will work for you, but if not, there's plenty of light at the end of the tunnel. If you need further assistance, post back anytime.

Reaction score
Ok, catilley1092, thanks, think it's worth a try.
I'm sorry, trying to check the status of this issue with lack of support by HP their users of small Laser Jet printers on Windows 7 i found this thread. I'm sure you've found solution but may be someone stranger - not yet.

Nice words on the light at the end of tunnel.

Many sources of light. One of them - is just to choose TCP/IP local port and to define lj1022n as very old "Laser Jet 4 Plus". It works fine.

It is ridiculous, that newer 1022n is not supported. I'm sure there are many owners of this printer and I suppose, LJ 4 Plus can be found only in museum.

Another way I didn't check yet: Generic Mobile Driver that is almost universal and available for download at many vendor's sites like Xerox, Gestetner,...
It recognizes almost any Laser printer. Again: I didn't check it with 1022n.

--Gennadii

Last edited:
Reaction score
Workaround

Gennadi,

The workaround I'm using (not the best one, in fact, but the one I can live with) is to print all my documents to the 1022n thru the XP mode of Win7 Pro, as catilley1092 told me.

After all, you can't get rid of XP... ;)

Cheers!

Reaction score
For HP 1022n, connected to your network:
The following will enable basic printing functionality in Windows 7 WITHOUT downloading or installing multiple HP "applications", HP "reminders", HP "tray icons", etc.
  1. Be sure you assign and know a static IP address of your printer
  2. Go to Devices and Printers in Windows 7
  3. Choose Add a printer at the top of the Devices and Printers window
  4. Choose Add a network, wireless, or Bluetooth printer
  5. Wait as it scans and finds the printer... it should show it with its IP address
  6. Click to highlight the printer, and click Next
  7. Click the Windows Update button to add more printer drivers to choose from
  8. Wait as it updates the available list of printers
  9. Choose manufacturer of HP and select printer of HP LaserJet 6L
  10. Finish the installation
I realize that this does not help for printers without network connectivity. Sorry.
The above tip came from HP support a few years back. It seems to rely on the PCL capability of the 1022n (and probably 1022nw), based on the drivers listed in the test page. I hope this tip makes some of your lives easier. :)

Sincerely,

Henry Gabryjelski

Disclaimer: I am a Microsoft Employee. My posts reflect my own opinions, not necessarily those of Microsoft or anyone else.

Reaction score
Hi Henry,

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it.

Regards,
Fernando

Reaction score
I think I solved the problem

This may habe been solved by members, but I didn't find the answer here.

So, basically, I managed to install the fully functionnal 1022n drivers on Windows 7 64-bit.

First, you have to download the Vista 64 bit drivers on the HP support website (this address): http://h200003.www2.hp.com/bizsuppo...esId=439424&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2100

Then, you have to unzip it and install it (by default in the Program Files (x86) folder). This places the driver files in a specified folder, so you can choose whatever directory you want.

Then, during the installation of the printer (whether by network connection or direct plug-and-play), when prompted for a driver, select " Have disk ". This asks you for a .inf file. You will find the proper Laserjet 1022 .inf file (named HPLJ1020.inf) in the directory where you installed the Vista drivers.

Cheers.

Reaction score
It is just an idea, how about sharing the printer from on of your XP computers the connect to that printer from your win 7 through that shared printer?

Reaction score
It is just an idea, how about sharing the printer from on of your XP computers the connect to that printer from your win 7 through that shared printer?
Thats a nice idea but you would still need print drivers for the Windows 7 machine even though it a shared printer on a XP machine.

My advice is when installing the printer, click the Windows Update button and let Windows re-populate the list of printers. You would be surprised at how many extra printers will be listed afterward. I personally know HP printers as far back as 1995 can be installed to work on 64-bit Windows 7.

Reaction score
It works!

Thanks LeVulgarisateur, often when people find something that works they forget to re-post and tell everyone. This one works great! Cheers

Reaction score
installing hpij1022n

I tried several of the suggestions, including that of LeVulgarisateur, alas the installation ;process stalls b/c the printer is not recognized. Haved tried different usb ports without success.
suggestions?

Reaction score
If you have a printer connected over a network (wireless or TCP/IP), then please try the following:

https://www.w7forums.com/drivers-hp-laserjet-1022n-printer-t5048.html#post56750

This solution relies upon the PCL and/or PS functionality of the device. The good news is that it uses only drivers bundled with Windows (or on Windows Update), and does not include many of the "helper" programs that HP includes.

The bad news is I've not tested it for direct USB connection (try it and report?), and if you like the "helper" programs, you won't get them.

Hope this helps, and please let us know the printer model and OS (32-bit? 64-bit?) you are using when you post again.

Disclaimer: I am a Microsoft Employee. My posts reflect my own opinions, not necessarily those of Microsoft or anyone else.

Reaction score
printer: HP1022n
OS windows 7, 64 bit
Tried your fix Henry, but it doesnt find the printer, ever! (your step #5).
So I tried to just enter IP adress, still wont find it, even though it is the correct address, and my other computers running XP and vista over the router have that IP adress for the printer. Tried to install with HPLJ6 and LJ4plus drivers, still doesnt recognize it.
I then installed drivers for vista64. This worked for USB connection to printer, but not via the network (yes, I used network drivers to try as well).
The cable itself is fine. The router is fine. No matter what I do, it doesnt recognize it as a network printer.
Happy to hear other suggestions.
thanks.

Reaction score
Is it possible that some of the settings in the advanced connectivity menus need to change?

Reaction score
Install HP LaserJet 1022n on Windows 7

[FONT=&quot]Install HP LaserJet 1022n on Windows 7
(You DONT have to connect it to USB)[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot] Download LaserJet 1022n driver from HP[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]32 bit - lj1020-HB-pnp-win32-en[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]64 bit - lj1020-HB-pnp-win64-en[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Run your downloaded driver[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HP driver install window opens asking you to connect the USB cable[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]CANCEL installation[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]IMPORTANT NOTE:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] This extracts the needed driver to your Hard Drive. Your driver will be extracted to folder:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](64 bit) C:\Program Files\HP\HP LaserJet 1020 Driver[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](32 bit) C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP LaserJet 1020 Driver[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Add your printer manually - START > Devices and Printers > Add a Printer[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Add a Local Printer > Create a new port > Standard TCP/IP Port > NEXT[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Enter the IP address > NEXT[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you dont know the IP, have you 1022n ON, hold the diamond shaped button down for 10 seconds. A configuration page [/FONT][FONT=&quot]will print [/FONT][FONT=&quot]with the IP on it .[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]"Install a printer Driver" screen opens, click HAVE DISK[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Browse to the folder where your driver was extracted (shown above)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Choose the "HPLJ1020" file > OPEN > OK > NEXT[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Select your printer name > NEXT > FINISH[/FONT]

Reaction score
Very helpful. That worked for the computer which is 'hardwired' to the router.
Didnt work for the other computer (windows 7, 64-bit) which is wireless.
Should I instead try to add as a network printer instead of a local printer?
Thanks again.

Reaction score
Try installing as a local printer first (printer does not need to be connected). This installs the drivers needed for the printer to be correctly installed later as a network printer.

Ask a Question