SOLVED Driver for Canoscan 8000F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Driver for Canoscan

Canon website only offers Window 7 32 bit , I have tried this but it doesn't work

Reaction score
I've got the same problem and spoken to Canon as recently as today. They have confirmed that there will not be a driver issued for the 64 bit version of Windows 7.

Ned

Reaction score
CanoScan 8000F 64-bit driver coming up!

Welcome to the site Barry. Have you tried the drivers section on Canon's website? http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0000439.asp

There's a Windows 7 option from the dropdown, but I don't know if the CS software also comes with the drivers you'll need.
Hi, i'm quite new here, but i think i've got some reasonably good news for you.
Just got a reply from Canon about a suitable 64-bit driver for the CanoScan 8000F.

At this very moment they are busy with the building of such a driver and make it available to the public. The advice from them (Canon) is to keep an eye on http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0000439.asp and they hope to have informed me (us now) sufficiently.

To be continued ....

Regards, Ned

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Canon website only offers Window 7 32 bit , I have tried this but it doesn't work
Same here! I have the same scanner and have relegated it the my XP machine in the basement.

Ned

Reaction score
Hi yodap,

Have you really read my post? At Canon's they are now building the driver .... :)

*** Just send in a question for an indication of the day that the driver approximately should be available, i'll let you all know ...

Last edited:

Ned

Reaction score
Today i am very disappointed in the Canon Organisation, the answer about an expected availability is like: we are very sorry and the most sincere apologies, but we've made a mistake. Something about their website overwriting my choice for the product blah blah, but there will be no x64-bit driver.

Now, what i've done is reply to their message in a polite way and asked them to reconsider and at least talk it over internally at a higher lever (escalate if you will) and - because of the many disappointed users of the product - decide to make the driver available. I've even suggested to do this together with Microsoft.
Also have sent http://www.microsoft.com/windows/co...us/Search.aspx?type=Hardware&s=canoscan 8000f

I'll keep you posted!

I almost don't believe it, they've already updated the page ... this afternoon it was x64- bit compatible, now alofasudden it is not!

Last edited:

Ned

Reaction score
To continue the (lack of) driver story ...

Today i posted a letter to Canon Netherlands to file a complaint on behalf of owners of any scanner from Canon for which the suitable x64-bit driver on the whole Windows 7 platform (32/64-bit) is not available (not yet, i hope). Now it's just sit still and wait for their answer.

Bye, Ned

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This has been a problem ever since Windows 7 was released. No 64 bit Canon support for Windows 7, although some products had 64 bit XP Pro drivers. But these products are ancient, for the most part. With all of the posts regarding Canon products on this forum, I will stay away from that brand, and suggest that others do the same. A good printer is built to last a long time, and the OEM's of them should support them throughout their lifetime. At least for ten years, that's not unreasonable. Printers generally don't run as much as your computer does, at least with home users. I have a 2004 Dell printer that I bought new, and it hasn't been through a 625 bonus count pack of printing paper yet, although I've replaced the inks three times. There was a lady recently on here with a Canon camera newer than mine (2008 model), same song and dance. I refuse to buy a product that will most likely be unsupported with the next version of Windows, and I hope that no one else does, either.

Ned

Reaction score
Still in battle with our mutual friend Canon, waiting for any reply ... hope to become a pain in the ar..... for them.
I also wrote to a consumer's program to get attention in their weekly TV program.

Bye, Ned

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Still in battle with our mutual friend Canon, waiting for any reply ... hope to become a pain in the ar..... for them.
I also wrote to a consumer's program to get attention in their weekly TV program.

Bye, Ned
Don't hold your breath or hang around the house when you have more important things to do waiting for Canon to answer. I've sent four separate requests for printer drivers on behalf of members of this forum, without as much as a conformation email in return for my efforts. It's a shame that this is their business practice, but it's out of my control. But one thing for sure, I'll never buy a product with the name Canon imprinted onto it.

Ned

Reaction score
Answer from Canon

Don't hold your breath or hang around the house when you have more important things to do waiting for Canon to answer. I've sent four separate requests for printer drivers on behalf of members of this forum, without as much as a conformation email in return for my efforts. It's a shame that this is their business practice, but it's out of my control. But one thing for sure, I'll never buy a product with the name Canon imprinted onto it.
On march 9 I received an answer from the Facility Manager Coordinator with Canon. She confirmed receiving my letter in good order and explained that the hardware (CanoScan 8000F) was the reason for not developing the 64-bit driver, the apparatus is just not suitable for Windows 7 64-bit. She gave this answer after having discussed the issue with their Product Manager for scanners. I've asked them to make sure that in the future information on their site is totally correct, especially is case OS's come in different bit sizes.
Sorry that I gave false hope and that I've took so long to finally bring this news. But one thing is clear, the search for a Windows 7 64-bit driver is over.

Cheers, Ned

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Same here! I have the same scanner and have relegated it the my XP machine in the basement.
That will be the best thing that you can do with this product, unless you install a VM in Windows 7, but you need a XP install disc and COA. A Win 2K disc will work too, but you will need really good virus protection with 2K, as it's about to become unsupported, and IE6 is high as you can go. However, you can install another browser of your choice in 2K, and you should, as IE6 is targeted for viruses and other malware. XP would be the better choice, if you decide to go this route. If you have anymore questions, feel free to post anytime.

Ned

Reaction score
There is one alternative .... install the product on a Windows 7 32-bit machine or VM, for me that works fine!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Ned, that's a great suggestion, but sometimes even 32 bit Windows 7 won't let you install some 32 bit printers. It didn't allow mine (a Dell 720 photo printer) to install. Sticking with 64 bit and installing a VM (with a Windows 32 bit OS within it) will work in most cases. So many threads involving older hardware, and the answer is right there (a VM). That's why Microsoft pushes Windows Virtual PC w/XP Mode for businesses to use Windows 7 and still run their older programs & hardware. Although everyone can't run this app, there are other free VM's available to them, if only they'll look.

Ned

Reaction score
Ned, that's a great suggestion, but sometimes even 32 bit Windows 7 won't let you install some 32 bit printers. It didn't allow mine (a Dell 720 photo printer) to install. Sticking with 64 bit and installing a VM (with a Windows 32 bit OS within it) will work in most cases. So many threads involving older hardware, and the answer is right there (a VM). That's why Microsoft pushes Windows Virtual PC w/XP Mode for businesses to use Windows 7 and still run their older programs & hardware. Although everyone can't run this app, there are other free VM's available to them, if only they'll look.
Hi catilley 1092, you're right about not being able to install printer/scanners (whatever) with a 32 bit Windows 7 OS. I've installed Windows Virtual PC w/XP and for me it works great. The "ol' CanoScan 8000F" is doing it's job fine, so no problems there. And about they who don't look .... apparently their problem is not so big! (which problem is in the end ...)

Greetz!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
So many threads of older programs/hardware not working with Windows 7, a VM will make most printers, cameras and older software run fine. This is not new technology, it's been around and proven itself, time and time again. Some VM's will run OS's as far back as Win 95 & 98. For those who can't run Windows Virtual PC, File Hippo has the latest VM Player from VMWare for free. There's also VMLite, posted within this forum, you don't even need to buy an OS, it's the same version of XP Pro SP3 that's included in the Microsoft's VM. I make extensive use of them, not just for work, but for play, too. Just to see if I can do it, I guess. But for many, it's the perfect answer, and setting one up is not as intimidating as one may think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question