SOLVED drive 0 has become drive 1

Reaction score
Following a failed attempt at cloning my main HDD to my secondary one (both identical Maxtor 160gb discs), I then managed to accomplish it successfully. I still have all the partitions showing all the right information but my main drive has become Drive 1 and not as it was Drive 0.

I cannot find a way to revert to the old drive number setting.

Any help gratefully received.

JohnnyB

Last edited by a moderator:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi johnnyb

To make the HDD you cloned to become (0) you would need to use the first header off your Motherboard and reassign in your BIOS, because (0) is another HDD.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your speedy response. I am afraid that I do not understand the answer - sorry!

How do I do what you suggest in the BIOS - i.e."reassign the header"

Cheers

Reaction score
Hi johnnyb

The Drives are numbered in sequence starting with 0. The BIOS looks for the first drive it finds to assign 0 too. Then the next drive is numbers 1. If you look at the ports on the motherboard and switch the drive ports you will effectively switch the number sequence in which the drives are found.

Edit:
Adding image

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
No not the header the HDD in BIOS, depending on your BIOS first boot may be Floppy or USB, second may be DVD R/W third may be Disk 0 and Disk 0 or HDD 0 would come off SATA1 or IDE1 depending on your Motherboard.

Reaction score
To clarify should I physically switch the SATA leads on the motherboard to put things right - or is therea way of doing it within the BIOS.
Once again thanks.

Reaction score
Thanks to all. I have swapped the HDD SATA leads on the motherboard and Drive 0 is now my correct system drive and Drive 1 is my cloned copy.

More interestingly - why did this happen at all - how/why did the BIOS change its identification of the 2 drives??

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen when I cloned my harddrive with Acronis, mayhaps it is something that the cloning software does so that upon reboot you will properly boot to the clone (HDD 0) rather than the drive that the clone was made from?

Reaction score
That was it exactly - the solution is swap the leads! If Acronis solve the problem it would be useful to know.

Thanks

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Acronis or any clone program cant change it because whatever Hard Drive comes off SATA1 or IDE1 will be Disk / Drive 0 in the order of the system.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Thanks to all. I have swapped the HDD SATA leads on the motherboard and Drive 0 is now my correct system drive and Drive 1 is my cloned copy.

More interestingly - why did this happen at all - how/why did the BIOS change its identification of the 2 drives??
Personally, I think it's the aliens that come by in the middle of the night and do silly things while we're asleep! :questionmark:

Last edited:

Ask a Question