SOLVED After clean install mouse (driver?) has unwanted extra features

Reaction score
After clean install, mouse (driver?) has unwanted extra features

Hi everyone,

Switching to SSD as OS drive, I decided to do a new clean Windows7 professional SP1 install.
Now I have a mouse that has (new) features I can't disable in the mouse settings of the control panel:

• A LH mouse click is acknowledged with a short animation of a point turning into a widening circle;
  • A long LH mouse click or short RH mouse click is acknowledged with a animated circle turning glowing blue;
  • Shift, Ctrl, Alt, Win and Alt Gr keys are acknowledged with a yellow text popup window underneath the cursor.

I can't find any software installed that could be responsible for this, or at least I do not recognize any....
Nor is there anything in the mouse settings of the control panel that controls this behavior.
Has anyone of you an idea what is going on in my OS? I want at least an option to disable this behavior.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have 2 mouses connected:

1. A generic PS/2 Genius mouse
  2. A Wacom USB (mouse + pen) tablet, model: ET-0405-U
    Driver: Wacom Technology, Corp. Tablet Service Version 6.0.5-7
HTH :)

Reaction score
Which reminds me, the "extra" features are only with the Wacom tablet......

Might be an indication where to find the culprit! Although the Wacom configuration I/F does not show any settings for these features.
I had this driver also on my previous install and had no problems of "extra" features...
Thanks for asking!

Reaction score
I'm betting when you re-installed the OS you left all your peripherals plugged in. In doing so either windows used it's generic drivers or found the drivers online during the update, which is causing the conflict, have two mice connected at the same time.

My question is; why have two mouse connected at the same time?

Reaction score
I have two mice connected because I do switch user and OS frequently (have a double boot XP/W7).
Sometimes the OS does not recognize the USB Wacom driver fast enough and then I can use the PS/2 mouse.

But even if Windows installed generic or otherwise found drivers, these must be somewhere configurable, wouldn't it?? :confused:

Reaction score
Not necessarily, that's why you need to install/re-install drivers for all hardware after a(n) OS install. With the generic drivers, that's all you get is just the driver not the software. With the software it will allow you to configure hardware to how you like it setup.

Reaction score
Sorry if I'm still not getting it....
If generic/plain-vanilla USB mouse drivers were installed, I wouldn't have these extra features.
Other software should appear in the list of installed programs and I can't find there anything that relates to mouse S/W.....

How to proceed?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
A spinning blue/green circle is just the default icon assigned to the mouse representation when the computer is "busy". the one with the arrow and circle is "working in the background". They have nothing to do with the drivers, they are W7. Apparently you had a theme or something loaded before that used different icons but what you are seeing now are the W7 defaults.

If you don't like them, then change them.
Go to Control Panel > Mouse ... click Pointers Tab
There under customize you can change the icons for "working in background" and "busy". ... all they really mean is the computer is working, it's supposed to be reassuring so you don't think it locked up on you.

Reaction score
@TrainableMan; that's not what is happening here.
As I said in my first post, these extra features are not related to the standard mouse animations.

These extra features are visual acknowledgements of mouse and keyboard actions which I like to disable.

Reaction score
This is how a long LH mouse click looks on the screen before it becomes a blue glowing circle....:

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would have to think it is related to the wacom drivers.

I would check control panel > device manager and see the date on the driver. I notice they have an RC (release candidate) from Oct 28, 2011 and yet another from Feb 15, 2011 but the fully "approved" driver is Nov 16, 2010. Try one of the other drivers if you don't like the one running now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It could be the Wacom drivers or a the MS Windows component as can be seen here in the screenshots attached.

Anyway, thanks for your assistance. I'll take it up with Wacom.......

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't know how long it would take Wacom to get back to you. Very simple to try the other drivers from their site and see if it makes a difference. Download them, create a restore point so you can get back to the current setting, and then in control panel > device manager choose install a new driver.

Reaction score
doesnt it usually mean by large circle the program is not responding. cause i get two types of circles, a small one and large one, the large circle only comes up when program stops responding.

Reaction score
Finally found a way to disable this unwanted behavior:
The culprit was Windows own Tablet PC Input Service!

Enter msconfig, goto to services and remove the check mark in front of the Tablet PC Input Service. After reboot, all is well.....

Ask a Question