Does this look like a good deal?

Reaction score
They seem to be an older version. 70 watts is a little to low for 5.1 speakers. Try tuping that model number in at Newegg and read customer's reviews on them. Considering any of Logitech's decent 2.1 speakers are $59.99, I'll bet the reviews on these aren't great. You may want to just get a decent Logitech 2.1 set.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I had already looked there. Before any computer related purchase, I've learned the hard way to check out the reviews.

There's only one problem that I discovered after I looked, I don't have true stereo output, it's some kind of analog output (on the HP MS214). So regretfully, I can't benefit from these otherwise nice speakers for it's price. There's only one 2.1 output at the back (above the USB ports), and my headphone input (it's not stereo either, one is for the speakers, one for the microphone) is analog too.

My notebook has really good sound built in, so I don't need it there. I'll just order a standard set of speakers, no need to waste the money. I'll be so glad for the day when I can build my own, that way I can have what I want on it.

Hopefully someone seen this link and can use them, although ComputerGeeks sells a lot of refurb items, sometimes some killer deals comes about on the site too. Almost every week, a good monitor is on sale for less than $100.

This is the instructions, it has three wires going to the PC, 1 green, orange & black plugs. I only have 1 green 2.1 output. I can go Matrix Mode, but it's not the same. Someone who doesn't know the difference may not be able to tell, but I can. My home theater has 7.1 speakers, and all of the wires plugs in properly, with no adapters (2 into 1, and that sort of thing). However, these speakers/amp alone cost more than my desktop did ($799 on sale from Crutchfield).
http://www.logitech.com/assets/35723/setup-installation-guide.pdf

I'll find a compatible set.

Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
There's only one problem that I discovered after I looked, I don't have true stereo output, it's some kind of analog output (on the HP MS214).
The words you are looking for is surround sound not stereo. Stereo is having a left and right channel.

Analog output in this context is also incorrect. Surround sound is presented in analog as well as digital. The speakers in question above are analog speakers.

You don't have enough channels to operate all of the speakers but a few of the speakers will work on your All-In-One desktop.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Cat - Nearly most of the computer users these days are going with 2.1 speaker setups, with a subwoofer and two satellite speakers. The main reason is the all the clutter with wires, another three speakers, etc.

In order to obtain the true effect of 5.1 surround sound they must be placed correctly and you need to have the room setup for them. I used to have a Monsoon 5.1 setup, and they sounded good, but were a pain to setup correctly and get the correct spatial acoustics.

I am now the proud owner of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 setup I got on sale at BestBuy Online three weeks ago at $129.99 w/free shipping (Reg. $154.99). Now these speakers truly KICKA$$!!

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 31Hz - 20kHz

AMPLIFIER POWER
Peak Power: 200 Watts total system
Satellites: 35 watts/channel @ 5% THD, 1KHz, two channels driven
Subwoofer: 130 watts peak (50 watts @ 5% THD, 50 Hz continuous)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
c_c, that was the issue. Some of the speakers won't work. I never looked at my speaker output before, and didn't realize that there is only 1 output.

For this kind of money, I'd prefer that the system works as designed. It would sound so much better. I've installed quite a few sound systems in my earlier days, and I've found it best to match your connections for best performance.

But I'm doing some more searching, I'm sure that I'll find a set that will work perfectly with what I have. I'd rather have 2 main speakers & a sub that works properly over several speakers that doesn't.

However, I still feel that it's a good set for someone, just not me (at this time, with my computer specs).

Cat

Reaction score
Cat, especially if the speakers are for a notebooks you're probably better off with a 2.1 set. They only need one plugh for the pc. The sub-woofer plugs into one of the speakers. Lookup reviews on Newegg on any of Logitech's 2.1 sets. Then decide. The only plug they need on the pc is the normal plug that the speakers plug into. The 5.1's are more for desktops, as most desktop since 2005 have 5.1 or greater on-board sound. Both my 2 motherboards for desktops have hookup for 5.1 & 7.1. Notebooks mostly have speaker/headphone and a microphone jack. It's reason's like that why desktop's will never die. Plus desktop's have empty slots for accomodatingnumerous graphics cards, tv tuners and hold more ram. Notebooks will never have any of that. If they did, they'd weigh over 20 lbs. and nobody woyld by them.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It is for a desktop, but the desktop has a lot of notebook parts in it.:D

These all-in-ones are usually made of leftover or surplus parts from prior builds, some engineer comes up with a quick design, and BOOM! An all-in-one is born.

I suppose that's why the models run out fast, and most are quick ship models.

But I'm on the lookout for some speakers, Nibs made a point, that many speakers would be way too many in the room where my computer is. It's a spare bedroom that's been converted into my computer room, and for storage. Although the room is neat, it's quite full. Like you suggested, I'm going with just 3 speakers, 1 sub & 2 mains.

I really liked that set, but it would've been overkill in here.

Cat

Reaction score
Yeah. The all-in-ones really use all notebook parts. You're better off with the 2.1's or running it through a power amplifier and your stereo. Other than those 2 options, you'll need a true desktop pc.

Ask a Question