DO NOT run any registry cleaner!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Very Important

Do not run any type of registry cleaner. like CCleaner as mentioned above. I've been hacking the registry since 1995 and was employed by PC Tools and one of the products I gave technical support on was Registry Mechanic.

I can tell you that the registry stucture has changed dramatically with Windows7 and these registry cleaners don't understand the structure.

I recommend no one use any type of cleaner/optimizer/registry defragger untill these companies provide support for Windows7

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
RegistryBooster by Uniblue Software is Windows 7 compatible both x86 & x64.

It's Microsoft Gold Certified also.

Reaction score
I have used CC Cleaner a couple of times now, and don't seem to have any issues.
I've used CCleaner for several years and have had NO problems with my registry. I love the program. :D
I've not had any issues with CCleaner either.

Thanks for the warning though, I will keep my eye open to potential problems and remember this warning.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've been using CCleaner for over two years, and have had no problems. When using the registry cleaner function (or any registry cleaner), create a restore point first, then open the cleaner, check for problems, if any, back up the problems prior to deleting. Never delete the problems without backing up (it's described as "saving changes" in CCleaner). And keep the program updated, at least once a month it updates. Fortunately, I haven't had to use this function since I've been using Windows 7, but I use the other cleaning functions on a daily basis. It's one of the best free apps around.

Reaction score
From what I've seen so far is that most of the registry cleaners out there have now updated their software for windows 7. What do you base this information on other than your experience in that field? What tests have you run that supports your conclusion? I'm not knocking your word but with out any concrete evidence to support your theory how do we really know. I too have used Ccleaner and quite a few others and never had any problems. Like Catilley 1092 said, backup and save, make restore points in the event of a problem that should arise. I do thank you for your information. Again this is no attack on you personally but just some friendly constructive criticism.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The OP is three months old. Since then there have been two updates to Ccleaner. I am sure the last takes care of Windows 7. I must admit, referring to the OP, that I could not personally see any "dramatic changes "in the structure of the registry,
I do not use a registry cleaner too often, as I don't feel it makes any significant difference to the overall operation of the OS, to remove one or two superfluous entries. I prefer, once in a while, to manually look at the two software items, under Hkey_Current_User and HKEY_Local Machine, and remove any items there, which I have uninstalled but have not been cleaned .
But, on an original install, if the registry is examined, a user will see that Microsoft have been quite lazy and left a heap of Vista items sitting there. At that stage, I have, on countless occasions, run Ccleaner, without mishap. It removes a huge number of entries, without harm to the OS. (It is more than a hundred, but I don't have the exact figure to hand).
But anyone having problems (I would be interested in seeing a post about those. ) should keep in mind that Ccleaner is customisable and does a bit more that clean the registry. Perhaps the problems, if any, lie elsewhere?

See here:
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/features

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I've been a long time CCleaner user from Win 95-98-XP and now Win7 and have had zero issues using it. Now other cleaners may be where some of the problems crop up but without further proof of how "bad" CCleaner is, I'm not at all afraid to use it every day.

Reaction score
The OP is three months old.
Ahh yeah, I did think to look at the date of the OP. And a second look will show that the original post was made before I signed up with the w7forums. That was during the Windows 7 Beta days.

Reaction score
I have NEVER had any problems with C Cleaner, but have learnt my lesson with other cleaners.:D

Reaction score
I seen the date too.... was ready to comment but I will hold my thoughts

Reaction score
The OP is not three months old; it's one year and three months old.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Time to close this thread! It's old and not very relevant. Meh.....

Reaction score
I had WinOptimizer 6, it's One Click program messed up some of my Windows Programs, like System Restore..It totally wiped that out where I couldn't do a System Restore..I couldn't click on certain things, Some webpages wouldn't show up right..There were numerous critical things I couldn't do anymore..Long story short, I had to do a clean re installment of W7..Lesson learned..But I do want to say that I believe CCleaner is safe with 7..I've used it for years and I don't think they'd say it supports W7 if it didn't..Thanks for the heads up reghakr..WH

Reaction score
Cleaning the registry

I use Glary Utilities and have never had any problems ... although once it listed about 450 problems! But even after a cleaning, things worked smoothly. I DO believe it is a good idea to set a restore point before proceeding, though.

Reaction score
I use Auslogics. It classifies the regestry errors by how safe it is to fix them. I just do the safe ones.

Reaction score
I've got a few but remember it's in the context of WIN XP.
All used safely, in no particular order.

Reg Scrub XP
Wise Registry Cleaner 4
Registry Clean Expert
Easy Cleaner
CCleaner

All seem to find different things.

Reaction score
Been using CCleaner practically since it I've had a computer and never once has it done me wrong..I've ran it with my Windows 7 for about 4 months now, and not once has it created a problem..In fact it's the only 'Optimizer, Registry Cleaner' I run..WH

Reaction score
Hi
I find it strange that no two registry cleaners ever find the same results!!
to me it seems like guesswork on the part of the cleaner involved.
And as i understand it windows7 registry is partially virtualised so cleaning is not really needed.
There is no significant increase in speed and the risk is far higher than the benefits if there are any.
Personally i think a restoration of a drive image would be far more significant than trying to guess which registry hives need cleaning.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question