Do I really need these updates?

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
These updates are waiting to be installed. Are they necessary?

1 Important
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile for Windows 7 x64-based Systems (KB982670)

6 optional
IDT - Audio - IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Intel - Network - Intel(R) 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection

Intel Corporation - Display - Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Microsoft - Other hardware - Microsoft Hardware USB Keyboard

Microsoft - Other hardware - Microsoft Hardware USB Mouse

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB976422)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Kalario - I would say yes to all of them. Five of the seven listed updates are driver updates so it would be wise to install them.

The .NET update is important so do it also.

Update for Windows 7 (KB976422)

Brief Description

Install this update to support Secure Digital (SD) cards that are larger than 32 GB.
If you don't use SD cards then this update would be optional for you or cards larger than 32 GB.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Except for the .NET 4.0 they are all driver updates so yes I would grab the latest drivers.

NOTE: Occasionally Win Update offers a driver that turns out to be not really meant for your hardware; generally they just error off and you can right click on it and Hide it so it will stop being shown in recommended. In the most rare case, if a driver is installed that makes your system fail to boot properly, remember at boot up you can hit F4 (or some people say it is F8 on their machines - for me F8 allows me to override BIOS settings and specify trying to boot from DVD rather than harddrive) to get a Windows start-up menu where you can choose "Last Known Good Configuration".

Reaction score
May not be needed.
Can check kb #'s, like kb976422 corrects issue with SD card that is above 32GB.
You check what issue each one "(helps)".
Many updates may not be of use as your computer may have the best driver, "not the latest", that your hardware/software supports.

Reaction score
Latest driver is always the best. That being said, it's best to get them only from manufacturers' sites instead.

If I didn't hide one, Windows Update would be trying to install a Realtek lan driver from early 2009 when the latest one I have is from Nov. 2009 and many versions newer.

(Yes, WU is trying to give me an older driver lol.)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've always wondered, what does this ".NET" software does for me, since the days of Win 2K, where version 1.1 was issued?

There are now two separate .NET 4.0 offerings at this time, the .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile (either x86 or x64, depending on your OS), and another one called 4.0 Extended (something). And if you've installed XP recently, you get all of them offered to you. Why not just the latest (4.0), and skip 3.5 & below? I noticed it also has the 1.1, but that's probably built in.

My question is, just exactly what does any of this 4.0 junk do for me? It's an optional update, as the drivers are. On one occasion, it was an older driver than I had, and had to revert to System Restore to correct it.

Cat

Reaction score
I've always wondered, what does this ".NET" software does for me,
It enables other software to work. For instance, the ATI/AMD Catalyst Control Center needs version 2 or 3 (I forget now.)

New software will surely need 4 either now or in the future.

To sum it up, it basically enables other software to work and gives developers a platform to work on and go with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It used to be that programs needed DLL files - these are basically subroutines (smaller pieces of code designed to perform a certain function) and programs could call the routine and it would run. It allows for some consistency while allowing the actual exe to be smaller.

Now everything seems to be web-based and driven by XML. The .NET frameworks allow developers to use a standard set of tools as a starting point for their applications.

Essentially it should allow you to create code faster while following Microsoft's standards for visual display, device access, etc

http://www.microsoft.com/net/

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
OK, I get it now. I recall something about developers, and wondered just what did that had to do with me. Now I see that it has to do with all users.

Thanks.
Cat

Reaction score

Ask a Question