dll problem

Reaction score
Having changed from Win& RC to Win7 Home Premium and reloaded a piece of software, it will not run (it did under RC). I get a message that scrrun.dll is missing or damaged.
It is there, but the software doesn't recognise it as valid. I have tried to replace the scrrun.dll with another version, but found I could not; I needed to be a 'TrustedInstaller'!
Even though I am the ony user and have full administrator rights, I DON'T have the full priviledges to make the change!
Any ideas?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
jampit, welcome to the forum! What is it that won't run, Windows 7, or a piece of software? I read that a certain file is damaged or missing. What you can do, and it's legal, is download your Home Premium disc and either start over or do a repair. There's two Home Premium files, the 64 bit is: http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65733/X15-65733.iso The 32 bit version is http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65732/X15-65732.iso Hope this helps you, download and burn it slow (no faster than 4x is better), although there will be those that will say burn it wide open. That's my advice, whatever speed you choose is your choice. If you need further help, feel free to post anytime. If the above links don't work, then Bing search X15-65733.iso (64 bit) or X15-65732.iso (32 bit), the wording will be the same as I typed above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Catilley, I corrected your links. If you right click on the links, you will have the option to copy the link. I always do this because the text you see may not always be the full link address. Once you have the link copied you can then paste just as you have been. :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks Clifford, I've been working on doing links. That's one thing that I need to polish up my skills on.:)

Reaction score
Hi jampit - Welcome to w7forums

Missing or Corrupt DLL's can mean only one thing. Windows or an Application did not install correctly or has since been corrupted.

Have you installed any applications that may not have installed correctly?

Try a Restore point and see if this corrects the issue
If not, you may need to re install windows.
I would usually have other suggestions but as you mentioned this is a new install of windows and errors are already present. You should not have these errors on a fresh install.

One other thing to consider, I have had errors like this in the past when my CD/DVD drive was having read/write problems. One of the biggest signs to having CD/DVD drive problems, are noises coming from the drive, clicking or knocking sounds. Another sign is when the drive constantly spins up and down. Even if your drive is not failing you could have a corrupted Windows 7 Disk.

Reaction score
scrrun.dll (Microsoft Script Runtime Library) - Details

The file scrrun.dll, is used by windows when running scripts such as those written with JScript or VBScript. If scrrun.dll is unavailable, windows will not be able to execute scripts. If you do not use any scripting on your computer you may be able to remove this file.

scrrun.dll is flagged as a system process and does not appear to be a security risk. However, removing Microsoft Script Runtime Library may adversly impact your system.

The Process Server database currently registers scrrun.dll to Microsoft.

This is part of Microsoft Windows.
Read more here - http://www.auditmypc.com/process/scrrun.asp

I wonder if this error would be corrected, if you installed the newest version of Java.
You can try this download - Free Java Download

Reaction score
uhm... try running the system file scan, it may realize that the file is corrupt all on its own (and you'll be the one person in a million who got that lucky!).

to do this:

press start, type cmd, and then right click it to run as administrator.
type /sfc scannow (this will scan all the system files and repair any that are detected to be corrupt or missing).

If this doesn't work, try referring the scan specifically to that .dll:
/sfc scanfile <full file path>

If this doesn't work either, don't despair, there are three things I can think of that you can do:
1. do a repair installation
2. install a program that will update this file (such as java runtime environment)
3. take over ownership of the file, rename it, and run /sfc scannow again, and this time since the file has been renamed, the scan will show it as missing and get a new one from the online repository. There are more thorough instructions on how to take ownership here (just skip all the steps, start reading at the "Now to fix the faulty service" section): https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-random-freezes-potential-solution-t3275.html

Ask a Question