DLL Problems?

Reaction score
I seem to be having DLL problems. The main thing is that buttons in my browser don't seem to be working. I have run SFC/scannow and chkdsk/f and I tied to do a system restore that failed to complete. I am guessing it is a jscript.dll problem but I can't find that file on my system or in the backup/restore search window. Does Windows 7 use javascript?

Can anyone help me solve this?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What browser? What version? What buttons? A screenshot would be helpful.

Java can run inside a browser window but the browsers actual forward/backward/etc buttons aren't java.

It could be a virus, try this:
Download TDSSKiller and RKill from our Freeware DB. If you do not have an anti-virus then download, install, and allow to update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM). Then reboot your system into safe mode without networking (Reboot and, when it says "Starting Windows," Press F8; If you get a message asking continue in safe mode or perform a system restore, choose continue in safe mode). Now run TDSSKiller and after that run RKill and after that run a full virus scan. The first two will take maybe 5 minutes each but a full virus scan can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours depending on your hard drive size and number of files.

TDSSKiller is designed specifically to look for rootkits. RKill is designed to stop the stealthing programs that hide/protect/regenerate some nasty viruses. Running these first will help ensure your A/V has the absolute best chance of cleaning up infected files

It could also be problems with add-ons, try running the browser w/o add-ons.

Uninstall any useless toolbars that you never use.

Run a product like CCleaner to clear out the cache, history, temp files that could be slowing the browser down. I recommend running CCleaner every month or two.

It could be other things but I would try those first to see if it helps.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Frankly, Java is such a huge security risk plus the fact most users just don't need it, I would encourage you to uninstall it, and keep it uninstalled.

If you run into a site or programs that really need Java, look for alternative sites and programs that don't. If you absolutely must have Java, keep it disabled in your browser and enable it ONLY when you visit those sites, then quickly disable it again afterwards. Or use, an alternative browser ONLY for those Java dependent sites.

And as always, make sure you keep Windows, your browser, and your security programs updated.

Note: US Dept of Homeland Security US-CERT: Disable Java in Browser.

Oracle quickly released a fix, but it failed to secure Java. And repeatedly, new zero-day exploits are discovered. So experts still recommend we junk this program altogether. And I agree with them.

Ask a Question