Dynamic link library netshell.dll problems

Reaction score
So what is going on here?
When trying to sign into MSN I get this error message:
"entry point not found. The procedure entry point HrIsIp state checking enabled could not be located in the dynamic link library netshell.dll"
I can eventually sign into MSN but after a day or two everything starts to bog down and some websites won't hardly load at all. Incidently I can use Firefox or Google Chrome without this issue.
MSN, Windows and IYOGI have spent hours on my computer to no avail and I am getting nowhere. Someone must know what is causing this and how to fix it.
Windows now wants to repair my system with the original 7 disc but they are being vague as to whether that process will cause loss of my files, etc.
What is going on and what would one recommend to get this fixed so I can safely be around sharp objects once again!?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is possible some of your system files or IE has become corrupted/damaged.

A "system repair" simply fixes any operating system files that are corrupt, it will not affect your data. It wouldn't hurt to run it. (This is not the same as a "system restore" which still doesn't affect your data, nor does it affect most system files, but "system restore" will uninstall programs and change system settings back to a previously saved point in time.)

You also might run the Internet Explorer Microsoft Fix-it. (Select IE, then select "Fix performance, errors, or crashes"). Run the fix-its and look over their other ideas.

And you should probably clear your cookies and cache. In IE, Tools > Internet Options > General Tab, Under Browsing History, click Delete.

Reaction score
TM...tried reinstalling MSN and IE10...deleted cache and cookies...ran Fix-It (it didn't). I see other posts going back almost 3 years with the same issue I am having. Seems that no one has a solution for this and they all blame each other for the problem. This causes the browser to gradually slow down to a crawl at which point I have to start the clearing, etc. once again...1-2 times a week. Arrggh.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Reinstalling MSN? MSN is a website, I use it as my homepage and I know you can sign in to customize it but I never sign in. I'm confused, are you talking about something else? What are you installing?

And you are running IE10 on Windows 7? I believe that is just a "preview" for W7 that came out on November 13, 2012. Do you know if the problems exist with IE9?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi azphoto,

I thought IE10 was still a beta. Have you tried removing it and using IE9?

If you decide to try repairing your system with the original disc, It will probably get things fixed. But be prepared to spend some time reinstalling the service pack and all the critical, recommended, and applicable optional updates that have been released since the release of the original disc.

I had to do this about a year ago. Your data and installed apps will be fine. It will just take quite a while to get all the updates back in. The update manager is dumb. It starts with the earliest update instead of the latest, so the same files may be updated several times.

Reaction score
Microsoft removed IE 9 due to this problem and replaced it with 10...fresh off the assembly line so to speak. it really did speed up things but after a day or so it bogged down again. Error still there.
MSN is a browser just like google, etc. It can become corrupted which has happened a time or two in the past.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Then it sounds like this may be a Microsoft programming or website compatibility issue. Other than notifying Microsoft I have no suggestions. It sounds like your best option is a different browser. Sorry I couldn't help.

Ask a Question