Disaster Restore

Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm feeling a bit on the frantic side. I have a brand new computer, less than 2 months old, and when I ran SFC I got the dreaded 'Windows has corrupted files that cannot be repaired.'. So I did a repair install, and all seemed to go well but hasn't.
  • Trying to add pictures to various programs got the error message that the photo wasn't a valid photo format.
  • Trying to view pictures using the Windows Picture Viewer, returned the error that it couldn't read the file because it was corrupted.
  • Trying to uninstall a program so I could reinstall it, my uninstaller program delivered the error message that it couldn't find the specified path.
  • Trying to install a program from my file manager program yielded a similar error message that it couldn't proceed because it couldn't find the file path.The exact same thing happened when I tried to install it via Explorer, and when I tried it from the Run Menu on the desktop.
I'm in rather desperate need of assistance, any and all of which will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
BearPup

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
I would suggest that you start with running chkdsk from a command prompt with Administrator privileges.
Code:
chkdsk c: /r /f
There is also an article HERE.

Reaction score
@Shintaro: Thank you for responding; my delay in replying is because I was following your suggestion. I ran Chkdsk and at the end it flashed multiple lines of results by me before re-booting. My sense of what I glimpsed is that there were problems found and it re-aligned the free space and "corrected" some other (unknown) problems. If you know where a log might be...there were none in the Windows/Log folder that I could see.

At any rate, whatever the system did didn't solve the problems. Programs are crashing at startup where they had previously worked fine, photos won't load in viewer, and programs won't install for the same 'unknown path specified' reason.

Help!

Shintaro

Reaction score
Time to check for viruses or Malware.

1. Download and run TDSSKiller.
    1. Accept the "End User License Agreement"
    2. Accept the "KSN Statement"
    3. Select "Change Parameters" and Select:
      • Verify file digital signatures
      • Detect TDLFS file system
      • Use KSN to scan objects
    4. When the scan is complete the log file is in C:\ It will have a name like "TDSSKiller.3.0.0.34_04.05.2014_08.05.16_log.txt"
  2. Install Malwarebytes (Free Version)
    1. Select "Threat Scan"
    2. When it is completed, please upload the log file from: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Logs
  3. Please download and run Windows Defender Offline.
    1. Click "Next"
    2. Click "I Accept"
    3. Select Either: (Typically it is either CD/DVD or USB)
      • CD or DVD
      • USB
      • ISO file
    4. Cllick "Next"
    5. It will create a CD / DVD / USB and will boot and scan your hard drive offline.
  4. Download CPU-Z and run it.
    • Go to the "About" tab
    • Click on "Save Report (.TXT) and save it to your desktop.
    • Upload the text file to the forum.

Reaction score
@Shintaro: Thanks for the help. I will proceed to work on them, but it is also 10:00 at night here, so while I'll do some tonight, it'll take me till tomorrow to finish all the tasks. I'll report back / upload the results when finished.

Again, my thanks.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to mention where to find the logs for the chkdsk:

Do the following:

Start -> Run
Type in "eventvwr"
Go to: Windows Logs -> Application
In the "Source" column look for Wininit, click on the event.
In the "General" Tab you will see something like "Checking File System om C:"
Right click on the event Copy -> Copy Details as Text.
Paste it to the forum.

Reaction score
@Shintaro: Here are most of the results. I wasn't able to complete the 3rd item, Windows Defender as it requires me to access my system during boot-up, but my computer operates so quickly (a hybrid SSD / HDD) that I can't access anything at boot-up.

I've uploaded the other three files (2 reports from TDSSKiller*, Malwarebytes, and CPU-Z).

* According to the TDSSKiller report, my program 360Amigo is a problem. My problem with that is I've been using the program for years as one that blocks startup entries from 'sneaking' onto my system. Its been on my computer for several years now and its never been a problem before, i.e., there have been no updates or changes to the program. So how does it suddenly become a source of trouble? As a temporary trial, I've uninstalled it, but really would like to install either the paid or freebie versions of the program, for as I say, it warns me whenever a program tries to add or modify anything on my computer.

Attachments

Reaction score
@Shintaro: While I appreciate all your help, I've decided that the best thing I can do is start from scratch. So I've downloaded a fresh copy of AVG Antivirus Free, and my firewall, and the next thing I plan to do is install a fresh, full copy of Windows (not the upgrade path, but the full blown install with the HD reformatted). I then plan to download fresh copies of all my programs (nearly 100 of them) and install everything from those fresh copies.

Thanks for all your help, and I'll report back here once I am up and running again.

Reaction score
@Shintaro: Well I was partially successful. I tried very hard to find a way into Safe Mode, but was unsuccessful (F8 brought up the Boot Menu, not Safe Mode); I will certainly call Tech Support in the morning (tomorrow) to figure out how to boot into Safe Mode, do a Factory Restore, etc.

I also tried to load the DVD directly from the C:\Prompt, and while I got the screen that had the Tag line, Press Any Key To Boot From A DVD Or CD-ROM, pressing any key simply resulted in the computer booting from the HDD into Windows.

I'm also having problems getting programs to behave properly - icons just sit there and don't fire-up the program or activate settings. I've run AVG Antivirus, full system scan, and nothing was found. I also re-ran TDSSKiller and it came up clean, nothing found.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
BearPup

Shintaro

Reaction score
What is the brand and model number of your computer?

The CPU-Z report is missing.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Look at page 3-26 of your motherboard manual. Manual can be downloaded from ASUS HERE.
It say's to access Windows Safe Mode you have to wait until the POST (Power On Self Test) is finished before pressing F8.
That is not a lot of time before the OS starts.

In regards to 360 Amigo, I personally would NOT use it. If you want to stop apps installing then only log on as a Normal User and NOT as Administrator. That way if an app wants to install, Windows UAC will prompt you for access. Article HERE.

In regards to AV (Anti-virus) Choose only one. Anymore than one AV on a comuter creates real problems.

Reaction score
@Shintaro: Thank you for the reminder of the User Manual,:oops: I tend to forget that I have the manuals that came with all the components I had installed.z

Regarding 360Amigo, it did more than just prevent (challenge) programs when they tried to change my Start Menu, but warned (asked permission) for changes to drivers, processes, and services - literally anything trying to get onto my computer. And that was the sole function that I used the program for.

As for two AV programs, I only use (would only use) one AV program. Perhaps the confusion comes from my changing from Ad-Aware which I had tried out, and AVG Free which is the one I went back to; Ad-Aware was thoroughly uninstalled (reboot) before i reinstalled AVG. If the comment relates to my use of TDSSKiller, my understanding of it was that it was an on-demand scanner, such as the Trend Micro scanner.

Shintaro

Reaction score
The reason I point people to manuals / articles is so that people can learn and then help others. For example you might see a post somewhere or meet someone who is having trouble getting in to Safe Mode and they have the same type of motherboard. You can now help them and even point them to the correct page in the manual.

I would still strongly suggest that you do not login to your computer with Administrator privileges. It will help prevent a lot of problems.
There are some here that login as Administrator all the time (not me) however they have been techs or power users for many years, so they know a lot of the pitfalls.

Be careful that what you are installing isn't re-creating your original problem.
If you don't really need it, don't install it or at least google it and look for problems. Or at least create System Restore Points along the way. Article HERE.

Reaction score
I wasn't intending to be sarcastic, I tend to forget to look in the manuals. Heck, I tend to forget that I even have the manuals! And I am trying to be very careful about what I'm installing. Even programs that I've had for years are getting looked at afresh - do I really need it, and only if I have a specific need do I download a 'new' version and install it. And of course everything passes through AV, Firewall, and random spot checking with on-demand scanners of anything that doesn't "feel" right. Beyond that, I don't know what else to do as I haven't figured out what's causing my computer to randomly go from 100% secure to 'Windows has found several files that have become corrupt that Windows can't correct.'.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound rude or anything. Just trying (Unsuccessfully) to say that by showing you where I got the information from, you can, in turn, help others.

It's time to test the RAM on your computer.

Please run MemTest86. There software needs to run through at lease 8 passes. This will take some time, so maybe you need to let it run over night. Here is a HowTo on MemTest86.

Shintaro

Reaction score
I tend to be straight to the point. My wife say's that I am a subtle as a "brick through a window". So please don't read anything in to, my responces.

Reaction score
Actually, I ran MemTest86 on the RAM I brought over from my old computer to make sure it wasn't the cause of the problem. All four sticks of RAM on my old computer checked out 100% OK, which is the only way I would use it on the new computer. All the RAM in the new computer is matched, e.g., same speed, latency, CAS, etc., and at least for now I'm going to assume the new RAM is good or it wouldn't have passed the 3-day burn-in procedure (I'm also making the underlying assumption that the computer manufacturer is honest, hasn't falsified the test results, etc.).

Shintaro

Reaction score
To be 100% sure I would suggest that you run memtest on the new RAM anyway. Just leave it run over night.

So are you getting the same windows errors now?

Reaction score
I haven't run SFC since the last corrective reinstall. Basically waiting till the core programs are loaded - things like image editing, CAD software, and word processing apps. Once the core apps are loaded and setup, then I'll run SFC again. It was having my email client act up that triggered my running of the SFC to begin with. So as long as things run normally I'm continuing to load my applications. Should something 'act-up' I'll run the SFC then, otherwise, I'd like to presume my brand new computer will actually work like it should. Hence, I'm waiting till I reach the end before I run SFC again.

So far the error checking programs I use have not found anything else wrong (I use FreeFixer and Tweaking.com's All In One Windows Repair). These programs scan the computer for problems but don't auto fix or change anything. They are test and report programs. And so far the only thing that those programs have found in common is 360Amigo, which is why I finally scrapped the program. So far everything else checks out OK.

Ask a Question