SOLVED Disable welcome screen

Reaction score
I don't use a password since I'm the only user of this PC. When I start the PC it shows "Starting Windows" and then the screen shows a welcome screen with just an icon with my name. I have to click this icon to go to the desktop. Again...no password involved. How do I skip this screen with the icon and go directly to the desktop without having to click the icon? Thanks....

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Kevyn. Not sure myself how to accomplish this, but I am confident that if there is a way to do this, one of the gurus will chime in.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Kevyn

If you don't use a password, and make only one account (admin account) Windows will not show you the logon screen.

Reaction score
Well when I go into user accounts I have only one account listed. It shows my name and it's says administrator.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Type Control userpasswords2 in the Startmenu box.
In the Windows which then opens, untick "users must ente..etc"
Ok it and close the window

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Type Control userpasswords2 in the Startmenu box.
In the Windows which then opens, untick "users must ente..etc"
Ok it and close the window
Thanks davehc! I had forgotten about that feature. Sometimes the ADD kicks in! :eek:

Reaction score
Typing Control userpasswords2 in the start window does nothing. It just says no items match your search. If it helps I'm using Win7 64bit.

Edit: However, I did type Control userpasswords2 in the run window and found where it says Users must enter a user name and password
to use this computer. I unticked the box and clicked apply and then OK. Rebooted and the boot process still stopped at the screen with my
name and icon. Checked the setting to make sure it was still unticked and it was. Don't know what's up with that.

Edit: Found another suggestion. Run msconfig and select the boot tab. Then select No GUI boot. This did work. Booted to the desktop
without showing the welcome screen with my name and icon. But it also bypassed the "Starting Windows" screen too. For no particular
reason I decided to untick the No GUI boot to see if the boot process would once again stop at the welcome screen with my name and
icon. And for whatever reason the Starting Windows screen came back but the welcome screen did not show up this time or on multiple
reboots.

Anyway...problem fixed. Thanx for everyone's help.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Good deal, problem solved! A little investigation on one's part can go a long way to solving problems.

Ask a Question