SOLVED Device Doctor!

Reaction score
Very useful in causing bsods and a system that can't boot, even with extensive repairs.

Advice: Always update drivers from the manufacturers' websites and no place else. Not even Windows update nor the device manager.

Reaction score
Very useful in causing bsods and a system that can't boot, even with extensive repairs.

Advice: Always update drivers from the manufacturers' websites and no place else. Not even Windows update nor the device manager.
I've never had any problem with Device Doctor... no BSOD, etc.
But if you say so...
I use it and have no problem. I think it depends on the machines, on hardware... maybe!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I tried Device Doctor 6 mos ago and it installed 2 drivers which helped but the third driver made it impossible to boot properly. It took me 45 minutes in safe mode to restore my system to where I could get back to normal. Sometimes these aren't up-to-date on the drivers they have in their database and sometimes they just can't tell which version of hardware you have and can install the wrong one doing a lot of sudden damage.

If you should ever try software like this, and I am not recommending it, then make a restore point prior to each driver update and only install one update at a time, rebooting after each. Or better yet, if it scans your system and says you need sound or video etc, then the safest most effective way to update drivers is to go to the manufacturers website and download them.

Reaction score
These programs would be ideal if they kept upto date with the driver data base as Mr TrainableMan mentioned just there, had a few problems myself with other programs like Device Doctor. the sure and safest way would be Manufacturer's website for me.

so would have to agree with TorrentG & Mr TrainableMan :D

Reaction score
I tried Device Doctor 6 mos ago and it installed 2 drivers which helped but the third driver made it impossible to boot properly. It took me 45 minutes in safe mode to restore my system to where I could get back to normal. Sometimes these aren't up-to-date on the drivers they have in their database and sometimes they just can't tell which version of hardware you have and can install the wrong one doing a lot of sudden damage.

If you should ever try software like this, and I am not recommending it, then make a restore point prior to each driver update and only install one update at a time, rebooting after each. Or better yet, if it scans your system and says you need sound or video etc, then the safest most effective way to update drivers is to go to the manufacturers website and download them.
Yes it is!
But there's people who don't have time or just don't want to surf into all the manufacturers websites... and prefere to leave it to a program ...
And yes... always make a restore point!

Reaction score
Yes it is!
But there's people who don't have time or just don't want to surf into all the manufacturers websites... and prefere to leave it to a program ...
And yes... always make a restore point!
So these same people enjoy taking all day or many days and eventually needing a clean install, instead, to fix the problems from using this?

Not making any sense here.

30 seconds to visit manufacturer's site to download a driver vs. many hours or days repairing issues, is not really any comparison at all.

I and others are offering professional advice while this program and those like it, I would not recommend to even a first day computer user.

Reaction score
maybe someone could compile a list of Manufacturer's sites into a thread and have it stickied, All Manufacturer websites in one place.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Now thats what im talking about, even if it doesn't have my machine on there :D

Reaction score
i already install device named "device doctor"
when i use it, it says that i need 5 driver update include sound,keyboard, etc (i'm forgot coz i don't really understand what is it :confused:)

but after i read this post i prefer not use device doctor to update my driver:)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Think of it this way, every piece of your hardware speaks a different language but they need to work together so device drivers are language translators. So, for example, the printer speaks French and the keyboard speaks Indonesian and the monitor speaks Arabic and the sound card speaks Chinese and the CPU speaks English. A different translator (device driver) is needed for everything to communicate with the CPU.

So write down what device doctor says should be updated but then go to the manufacturers website to get the latest for your equipment, rather than allow device doctor to download and install.

Make a restore point and then go to control panel \ device manager. Find the devices you got drivers for (do one by one, rebooting & making a restore point before each one) and double-click. Choose update driver and choose browse for driver; then point to the driver you downloaded and expanded.

Reaction score
thx again to mr. Train :D
but if i don't update my driver what will happen on my laptop?
is it okay?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Driver updates are put out to improve functionality and reduce problems; in other words the devices should talk better and be more stable together. If you are experiencing any issues with freezing or BSODs updating the drivers may fix these issues. If your system is working fine and is nice and stable then it is less critical but still recommended.

Audio and video drivers are generally easy to locate and download and they are updated frequently by the manufacturer. Since this is such an integral part of the computer I personally like to update them but as I said, if you are stable then it's up to you.

Not updating doesn't make things worse but updating can sometimes make things better.

However updating to the WRONG driver can make things bad for an hour or so, since you may need to boot in safe mode and use the restore point. I'm not trying to discourage updating at all, merely emphasizing the importance of using restore points if you do, as well as recommending doing the research yourself, to be careful you do get the right ones for your machine.

Reaction score
so it's depend on me right?:cool:
if i want my PC works better than i must update my driver
but if my PC works stable it means that i don't really need to update my driver

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Correct, if you are happy then it is not mandatory, just recommended.

If, at some point, your laptop has issues and you ask us for help, we will ask, are the drivers up-to-date? and if not we will suggest you do that to rule them out as the cause.

Ask a Question