Desktop not found problem

Reaction score
I have a new copy of windows 7 home basic. From the past few days,sometimes on starting it,after the "welcome screen" there appears a "Preparing your desktop" screen.
On startup, the graphics are that of windows classic style and a dialog box appears stating that desktop not found.
help!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Have you installed the latest proper video drivers for your graphics card?

How about you chipset drivers too, did you install the latest ones for it also?

Are you on a notebook computer or a desktop?

What brand and model of computer?

Reaction score
I work on a sony vaio E series laptop. Everything came pre-installed and didn't pose any problem in the first month. For the past 1 week I have been encountering this problem.

Reaction score
I have done the start up repair from the advanced boot options and so the past 2 startups have gone unhindered. I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Facing same problem in Sony Vaio E-series

I am also facing the same problem of desktop not found in newly purchased Sony Vaio E-series Laptop.

Can anybody tell if this is the problem with Windows 7 or Sony Vaio.
It came company installed Windows 7 Home Basic Version.

Can anybody tell the fix for this problem.

Reaction score
vaio e series startup problem

i have vaio e series laptop. i3, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd, windows 7 home premium
whwnever i atart my laptop its takes too much time for booting and after that message comes "preparing for your desktop". and screen appears in black screen. windows color scheme and also changed. any way to fix this problem

Reaction score
same problem encountered with me also. i have vaio e series and in startup it appears with message "preparing for your desktop" then it goes blank startup with windows color scheme changed. please fix this
also startup takes atleast 5 min

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you have a message in the corner saying "This is not a Genuine Copy"?

Windows delays/slows start-up and sets the background to black if it detects a license violation and the delays get longer and longer if you fail to resolve the issue.

If this is not a "genuine" issue then it seems odd that it is occurring on machines in India and makes me wonder if it is an issue with the Windows 7 build for that region. Unfortunately this thread has been here almost a year and I see no solutions posted. Your only hope is likely to return the machine if it is new or to contact the machines manufacturer to see if they are aware of the issues and have any solution.

Note: zyzi, since you found this thread and posted here as well I simply merged your new thread with this one

Last edited:

Ask a Question