Desktop motherboard with ATA Password support?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm looking to build a new PC in the coming months, probably using an i5 2500k or the Ivy Bridge equivalent... but also using an SSD (finally!).

Some SSDs like the Intel 320, 520 and Kingston V+ series already perform full disk encryption, which can be paired with an ATA password to provide some security if the disk/computer was stolen.

As there's no performance hit for doing this, I intended to use this feature. However, I can't seem to find any new motherboards with ATA Password (sometimes just called HDD Password) support in the BIOS.

I always assumed that more modern motherboard BIOSs would contain ATA support, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Is anyone aware of a socket 1155 motherboard that supports ATA passwords?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been doing a little more hunting, but not found a good desktop with HDD password support (or perhaps the specs/manuals just fail to mention it). So, I'm just going to skip HDD protection if nothing turns up in the next month - it's not really an essential feature I guess :).

Reaction score
:eek: No postings!!

Sorry Ian, but this one is completely out of my experience. This is the first I've heard of ATA password protection.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
No worries Clifford, it was a long shot - as I've done lots of hunting but can't find one :).

Ask a Question