Defragmenting Windows 7

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Has anybody tried any of the third-party defragmenters in Windows 7 yet?

Uniblue has a new product called Disk Rescue 2009, (which is a defragger, not a 'rescue' or backup/restore program).
I installed it on Windows 7 Professional today and it works fine.
I hope to have a few copies to give away on WindowsTalk soon. :)

Reaction score
Does anyone know if "Disk Rescue 2009" works with a 64Bit OS?

I checked the site and it only list the 32Bit versions of XP and Vista.

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Only 32-bit at the moment, CC. I think that is due to it's focus being on the typical 'Home' user.
Found this in their FAQ:
Thanks for your interest in our products. At present our Powersuite 2009 products (DriverScanner, Registry Booster and SpeedUpMyPC) are fully compatible with :
Windows XP 32bit
Windows Vista 32bit
64 bit compatibility is something that we are at present looking to update very soon although, at present we do not support the 64bit operating systems.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm running JKDefrag V3.36 (http://kessels.biz/JkDefrag/) in Win7 (32bit). I've not tried the updated MyDefrag v4.0 yet.
I am running the same program - But I'm always open to new ideas

I really hated the fact that Windows removed the animation. The animation puts a little perspective to just how bad your drive is fragmented. Watching the blocks move gives a sense of knowing you data is actually being moved. Looking at a percentage is not the same.

Reaction score
I know this is a very simple Freeware program, but CCleaner works fine. I have had no problems and am glad with what it does. If im perfectly honest its an essential for any PC enthusiast to have.

Reaction score
I know this is a very simple Freeware program, but CCleaner works fine. I have had no problems and am glad with what it does. If im perfectly honest its an essential for any PC enthusiast to have.

The ccleaner is just a cleaner not an defragmenter.

Reaction score
You need to post these in the contest thread, but perhaps Ian or a Mod could move it there? Consider yourself entered at any rate. :)
This maybe my fault James - Rhonda is a friend of mine - I may have had her place them here on accident - I'm not sure if I can get her to move them in time - If Ian or one of the Mod's would move them. We would be grateful.

Reaction score
How do you get CCleaner to do a defrag...
I am so sorry!
I got it mixed up with the terminology, sorry! CCleaner basically gets rid of all the clutter on your PC, i.e. internet history cache. Plus you get extra space on your hard drive too.

Sorry about the misunderstanding

Ask a Question