Spell check & Clipple

Reaction score
My spell check quit. No more red underlines when I'm posting online. Since I'm not a typist, by any means, that feature is quite essential to me. Looked in my books and couldn't find anything on it. How can I get it back?

Also, way back when, just before my Gateway bit it, I had this nifty little feature (pretty sure it was in Mozilla) called Clipple. Clipple allowed copying several items on the clipboard allowing one to reference a page or document once, copy all the disparite words or phrases needed, then paste them as needed. You could change the number of items allowed on the clipboard. Mine was set at 30. Nifty little tool. Any thing like that available in the MS world?

Reaction score
For the Firefox browser, which I am assuming you are referring to, as you mentioned red underlining that highlights spelling errors, here's how to get it back ...

Type about:config in the Address bar
In the Filter box, type layout.spellcheckDefault
double click on the preference and change the setting to 2

Restart your browser and you should have spell check capability again in all text boxes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm using IE8 now and the feature was working, at least I didn't notice that it wasn't until yesterday.

Reaction score
ieSpell - A Spell Checker for Internet Explorer
ieSpell is a free Internet Explorer browser extension that spell checks text input boxes on a webpage. It should come in particularly handy for users who do a lot of web-based text entry (e.g. web mails, forums, blogs, diaries). Even if your web application already includes spell checking functionality, you might still want to install this utility because it is definitely much faster than a server-side solution. Plus you get to store and use your personal word list across all your applications, instead of maintaining separate ones on each application.
If you have already had this plugin installed, you can check your plugins to see if somehow its been disabled.

I'm not sure about the clipboad plugin.

Reaction score
Thanks. If the clipboard feature isn't available, some one should develop it. :cool:

Reaction score
Alright, I've got the damned thing installed, now how do I get it to work?

Reaction score
Alright, I've got the damned thing installed, now how do I get it to work?
This is where some of the confusion comes from. ieSpell doesn't have the red underlines. With ieSpell you have a spell check option added to the context menu. To access the context menu you must right click inside the text box, where you want to use the spell checker. I'm not aware of any addon that spell checks as you type with IE.

Reaction score
Ah, yes. I got that when I checked some o' the stuff on my task bar. Now, to see if it's actualy working.

OK, a deliberate mispelling and I got:

Attachments

Reaction score
There is a program called Spell Check Anywhere, it adds spell checking to all Windows programs, in any version of Windows. It will solve all your spell check needs in all programs.

Reaction score
Got Yankee Clipper, looks nifty. Now, to check the speling prgram.

Damn, these programs! I have the new spell checker on a 7-day trial and I checked the preceding sentence. It caught the two mispelled words, gave options and I selected "replace word." It notified me it was changing the context and indicated spell check was complete. Worked beautifally, except, as you can see, it didn't effect any changes! What gives?

Ask a Question