DDR3 RAM placement arrangement (dual channel, etc.)

Reaction score
So I just purchased a single Kingston 4 GB DDR3 1333 stick (same brand/model with the ones I currently have installed) and I already have two Kingston 2 GB DDR3 1333 (again, same brand/model so that's two http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR1333D3N9_2G.pdf and one http://www.excaliberpc.com/595285/kingston-kvr1333d3n9-4g-4gb-ddr3.html) sticks in slots 1&2 respectively (dual channel mode). I have four RAM slots. What's the best way to arrange and place them to take full advantage of performance and/or dual channel mode? Should I place them as...

a. slot 1 would have the new 4 GB stick, slot 2 and 3 would have the two 2 GB sticks
b. slot 1 would have one of the 2 GB sticks, slot 2 would have the new 4 GB, slot 3 would have the other 2 GB
c. slot 1 and 2 would have the two 2 GB sticks, slot 3 would have the new 4 GB
d. other suggestions? maybe use slot 4 perhaps?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is there a reason for buying the single stick of 4 instead of another two sticks of two?
I do not know how this will work for you as I was always told that the best way to avoid issue with RAM is same brand/same speed/Same Size. I think that by having your planned setup you will not get full benefit of dual channel as one stick of Ram whichever way you choose to install it will be unmatched on the other channel.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Your MSI motherboard has 4 slots total, 2 colored black which are channel 1 and 2 colored blue which are channel 2.

Put the 4GB stick in the Slot 1 of the Black section, then the other two sticks in Slots 3 & 4 of the Blue section. That way your channels are balanced with the same amount of RAM per Channel.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You motherboard manual will have the best configuration for 1, 2, 3, or 4 sticks.

Reaction score
Cool. Everything's working fine now and I love the 8GB! Thanks mate!

Ask a Question