could not perform this operation because of the default mail client is not properly i

Reaction score
Hello:

The last two weeks, I have started getting this error message when I click on a link for e-mailing (in Firefox):

"could not perform this operation because of the default mail client is not properly installed"

Then, maybe after I click the reload button In Firefox, the taskbar fills up with tons of IE logos. I have to restart the computer to get rid of them (I can delete them, but that would take eons).

I have Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I have email client Becky! (excellent, but not well-known).

What could have happened? Guess update of Win7 did something. What can I do to remedy this?

Thanks,

Hans L

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would not suspect it is W7 update that caused this. Most likely a virus, problem with Becky!, or a registry error.

Make sure you have the latest updates of Becky. Do you have the paid version or are you running the 30day trial? Is Becky strictly web-based or did you install software on your computer locally? If it is installed software then try uninstalling and reinstalling.

Run a safe mode anti-virus scan:
Download TDSSKiller and RKill from our Freeware DB. If you do not have an anti-virus then download, install, and allow to update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM). Then reboot your system into safe mode without networking (Reboot and, when it says "Starting Windows," Press F8; If you get a message asking continue in safe mode or perform a system restore, choose continue in safe mode). Now run TDSSKiller and after that run RKill and after that run a full virus scan. The first two will take maybe 5 minutes each but a full virus scan can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours depending on your hard drive size and number of files.

Booting in safe mode makes sure only minimal services/programs are started. TDSSKiller is designed specifically to look for rootkits. RKill is designed to stop the stealthing programs that hide/protect/regenerate some nasty viruses. Running these first will help ensure your A/V has the absolute best chance of cleaning up infected files.

Try those things first.

Reaction score
TrainableMan, I will do as you suggest. However, I did a full scan recently (Norton Internet Security, which I have had for years and years; but maybe I did not do the scan after my problem started to happen), I have had Becky for years and years, I have it POP, and I have never had this problem before about two weeks ago, and the latest Becky update was 1/7/2013.

I will report back. Thank you!

Hans L

Ask a Question