SOLVED control panel not working

Reaction score
Help - I have just rebooted after windows update downloaded a load of updates and now cannot access anything in my control panel except uninstall.
The battery power indicator and internet connection strength icons have also disappeared from the task bar.
I have tried rebooting in safe mode but the problem is persists. When I try to get into User Accounts I get an error message saying windows cannot find it!!

What is going on?

I am running Windows 7 Professional 32 bit.

Thanks in advance for any help

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Windows Updates should have created an Automatic Restore Point prior to installation. Go Back to that. Make sure that you have Auto Updates set to not automatically download and install. You can then install them manually, a couple at a time, rebooting between each batch. If the problem re-occurs it will then be one of the two in your last batch that caused the problem.

Sometimes you won't see a re-occurrence as its the actual loading of "quite a lot" of updates in one fell swoop that causes the errors.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can't access updates to do that. Windows explorer isn't working either. I can't access anything!!!

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Can you get to Safe Mode? (On mine I have to press F8 repeatedly after the BIOS screen or "beep")

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's good advice from Elmer - installing the updates in batches should help narrow down the cause.

If Safe Mode also fails you should also be able to boot from the Windows 7 installation DVD and click "repair your computer" then select the System Restore button. This will let you roll back the updates if you can't boot in to Windows.

Reaction score
Safe mode doesn't help - I still can't get into Updates or anything other than Uninstall in the Control Panel. I loaded my Windows 7 installation disk but the only option is to Install - it doesn't seem to offer a Repair option. I've now lost an entire morning's work to this problem and am no nearer fixing it. I don't know what to do - please help someone!

Reaction score
Managed to run System Restore from the installation disk but at the end of it got a message saying that
System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files adn settings were not changed.
Details:
An unexpected error occurred during System Restore (0x80070002)

But when I restarted I got a message saying System Restore had been successful. However, the problem has not been resolved. I still can't get into Control Panel and Windows Explorer is still not working. I cannot access anything.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
With that message, you seem to have a corrupt file which is trying to load a component.
When in safe mode, open a Command prompt (Administrator mode) and type the following
sfc /scannow and enter.
It will take a while and check the vulnerable files.

Reaction score
OK - your clue about a corrupt file led me to uninstall a couple of programmes that I had installed since my last reboot and hey presto everything is now working fine again. Don't know which of these programmes was the culprit but won't be downloading them again to find out.
Thanks for your help

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
OK - your clue about a corrupt file led me to uninstall a couple of programmes that I had installed since my last reboot and hey presto everything is now working fine again. Don't know which of these programmes was the culprit but won't be downloading them again to find out.
Thanks for your help
Yes! Please list the software you removed so that others may see what the potential culprits were.

Thanks! ;)

Reaction score
Try "Last Good Known Configuration", I think is F5 at boot.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You already fixed your issue and it does sound like it was caused by third-party software as suggested in this article, but for others who have this issue you might try their solution:

How to Fix the Error of Control Panel or Windows Update The Page Failed to Load.

Sometimes doing the update might bring you trouble instead of benefit. For example, when opening up items inside Control Panel or Windows Update in Windows operating system such as Windows Vista and Windows 7, neither the Control Panel applet nor the Windows Update does load. Instead, there will be a window show just a blank white page with “The page failed to load” error message.

This trouble might be caused of a conflict with third-party application programs. Some of the programs which have known incompatible are:
- StarDock MyColors
- Window Blinds
- XeroBank Browser

Aside of those programs mentioned above, there still be a possibility of any other programs that mess with or alter Windows desktop theme or other core system functional area that may cause the problem too. In order to solve the “The Page Failed to Load” error problem is just uninstall and remove the conflicting programs. Sometimes, it could also be done by upgrading to latest version which fixes the issue.

Just in case the problem still could not be solved, like page still does not load, you must try to repair the file system by following this guide:

• Open an administrative command prompt.
  • Enter and execute the following command: sfc /scannow
  • Restart the computer after the process completed.
The process may take up to 10 to 15 minutes to complete. However, the Windows Resource Checker (sfc) should be able to fix most system related errors due to corruption, wrong alteration or misconfiguration, so you could get your machine back to normal work again.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I Think that was the solution I suggested, briefly. But as the OP stated, it put him in the think tank.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yeah, he mentions "got to thinking" but I didn't see where he ever said he actually tried the command. I just happened to find that article while searching for another issue and thought it offered a bit more info.

Reaction score
With that message, you seem to have a corrupt file which is trying to load a component.
When in safe mode, open a Command prompt (Administrator mode) and type the following
sfc /scannow and enter.
It will take a while and check the vulnerable files.
I am having the same problem and when I try to run the "scannow", It'll go 35% of the way and then it reads: "windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation"

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You must run the the command prompt as an Administrator.
Go to Accessories and right-click over the Command Prompt
Choose Run as an Administrator.
Run sfc /scannow

Ask a Question