Conflict Win 7 and nVidia 9600GT

Reaction score
When I load nVidia drivers, my system goes into blank screen. I uninstall the nVidia drivers and the system works fine, until I reboot for any reason, then the nVidia drivers automatically reinstall and the system crashes.

Is there any way to keep the nVidia drivers from automatically re-installing?

Bill

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Try uninstalling them in Programs and Features. If that doesn't work try to do it in safe mode.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Yodap, I think he already tried to uninstall the drivers that way.

A system restore to before you installed the drivers should work as well, probably better.

If it is an update, have you tried hiding it?

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Bill - Hi! How's it going other than driver issues?

Have you downloaded the correct nVidia driver for your card and Windows 7?

I discovered back a few years ago when I was using nVidia cards that the screen would go blank, then re-appear and then would ask for a reboot. Have you done that?

Give us more information so that we may help you.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us&ptid=1&psid=51&pid=0

Reaction score
Firecat,

Don't understand "try hiding it."?

I did uninstall in safe mode as well as regular win 7.

I have a dual boot system and have no problems with the nVidia display in Win XP Professional, so the conflict is somewhere in Win7. I have looked for the "Optional Updates, hoping to find something about drivers. So far I can't find anything labeled "Optional Updates."

I have installed all the other Win 7 updates.

I am using the latest nVidia drivers. 197.45_desktop_win7_winvista_32bit_english_whql (1).exe

And I have rebooted. The infuriating problem is that you have to reboot to use Program Manager to uninstall nVidia drivers. BUT when it begins again from the reboot, it re-installs the damn drivers!

Repeat

Repeat

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok.
So firstly, uninstall the drivers, if you haven't allready.
Then, go to windows Update. In the updayes to be installed, right-click on the NVIDIA one, and there is an option to hide it. This should stop it from installing each time.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
After uninstalling in safe mode, you can try installing an older driver version. After installation try booting into windows 7 normally.

Here is a website with a list of - Old Version of N-Vidia ForceWare

I wish I could find the drivers listed on nVidia website. I don't like linking to second hand websites. :(

P.S. - Hiding windows update items will not keep windows from installing drivers that have already been installed previously.

The only way to stop Windows from automatically installing hardware is to satisfy all hardware with compatible drivers or tell windows to Disable hardware within Device Manager. After all automatically installing drivers is part of plug and play features within the operating system.

Reaction score
Clifford,

Will try the nVidia drivers and get back to you. I did go to Device Manager and disabled the 9600 GT and then Program Manager to uninstall everything nVidia but the nForce Networking controller.

BUT when I rebooted the display reinstalled anyway. I am going to try just disabling the card and not uninstalling it.

The frustrating thing is that the 9600 GT works fine with WinXP Pro. But Win7 Pro 32bit crashes the display. I hate to go as far as to replace a working video card with another brand.

When I have time, I'll try the older nVidia drivers, but they seem to be Forceware drivers and not display drivers. The Forceware does not seem to be a problem.

BTW I have an EVGA i750 SLI Mobo and an EVGA 9600GT video card.
Thanks again,

Last edited:

Ask a Question