Computer Slow When Multi-Tasking After Installing SSD

Reaction score
I am experiencing significant slow-downs and occasional freezing when multi-tasking since I swapped my C: System drive from a Samsung F1 250 MB HDD to a Crucial V4 128 MB SSD. I did not clone the new drive from the previous HDD, but installed Windows 7 and all my software from scratch.

The computer is very fast to boot or load and use any single programme – but if I have a download running in the background such as Windows update, a security scan or photo editing – the system grinds almost to a halt when I try and use another programme like MS Office. This did not happen when I used a HDD for my C: System drive.

I have a CPU and Memory usage gadget running on my desktop and this shows low usage when the problem occurs - using task manager to look at processses also shows zero cpu usage against all the processes listed.

I have carried out a thorough check for malware and I have run sfc scannow and CCleaner without revealing any anomolies.

What next?

Computer spec
ASUS P5QL-E IP43 Mobo
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3 Ghz not overclocked
Crucial 8 GB DDR2 1066 (4 x 2 GB)
C: Drive Crucial V4 128 GB SSD (Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and all software
D: Drive Samsung Spinpoint F1 500 MB NTFS HDD (All Data)
E: Drive Samsung Spinpoint F1 1 GB NTFS HDD (internal back-ups)

Reaction score
Are these all separate hard drives or are they partitions. I ask this because of how you have the size of the hard drives listed (500 MB - 1 GB).

Could you post a screen shot of your disk management window.

Ask a Question