Cloud Distros

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Well i prefer to keep my OS in the box ;)
DITTO! Bloody right!

Cloud computing is years down the road even though GOOGLE supposedly has a beta out of their cloud OS.

I DO NOT trust GOOGLE and will NEVER use any cloud based OS... period!

I think my amigo Veedaz would say: Bollocks! :)

Reaction score
DITTO! Bloody right!

Cloud computing is years down the road even though GOOGLE supposedly has a beta out of their cloud OS.

I DO NOT trust GOOGLE and will NEVER use any cloud based OS... period!

I think my amigo Veedaz would say: Bollocks! :)
:top: :tee:
No arguments there Nibiru2012

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Who came up with all of this "cloud" mess? Sounds like someone besides the cop followed the burning truck in the movie "Up in Smoke". The more I read about it, the more convinced I am that others were following that truck.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Now that my ISP is "upgrading" my service by reducing the monthly ammount I can download, anything in the "cloud" for me better be a few k in size at the most

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Now that my ISP is "upgrading" my service by reducing the monthly ammount I can download, anything in the "cloud" for me better be a few k in size at the most
draceena, do you have a choice in ISP's where you live? I just switched to Road Runner yesterday, the downloads are unlimited and the speeds are decent as well. Usually when there's competition, prices are lower and more features are offered.

Reaction score
We are with testra and get ADSL and it's very fast.

But I don't know wheather you get telstra were you are.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I was just looking up some info about these "cloud distros", most are Linux based. I see that Google has there hand in it, too. But all they have to sell are T-shirts and coffee mugs. This isn't another one of those "TISP" deals, is it? Google says that your computer becomes a browser. I'd have to see it to believe it, and wouldn't want it then.

Reaction score
Just somthing else on the market that will cause double trouble. It should be Microsoft and Apple.

I don't agree on this PC Vs MAC buisniss it's based on your taste.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Just somthing else on the market that will cause double trouble. It should be Microsoft and Apple.

I don't agree on this PC Vs MAC buisniss it's based on your taste.
:bebored: Coco, did you ever install that spell checker program?

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Roger and Bell/Tellus are the main choices here and since Robbers,err, Rogers are the ones being cruddy, I'll be switching to Bell or if I can find a smaller, independent, provider, even better still

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Roger and Bell/Tellus are the main choices here and since Robbers,err, Rogers are the ones being cruddy, I'll be switching to Bell or if I can find a smaller, independent, provider, even better still
I know of Rogers, if they are the same company. If they are, they provide cell phone service, too. Many Americans "unlock" (which is legal) their GSM cell phones, then get service through Rogers at a cheaper price. But back to your point, it sounds like your choices are somewhat limited. There's lots of competition here, which holds down prices. It needs to be that way everywhere. Would wireless be of any interest to you? There's plenty of that here, too. But after you reach 5GB in a billing cycle, it costs more. I looked them up, they're the same company. They have a "lite" (which is what I have, but no cap) for $35.99/month with 25GB/month cap. For me, that's plenty, but your situation may be different from mine.

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
The Bell/Aliant deals don't have any downloading caps so that seems the best to me, but getting back on topic, even if I do get unlimited downloading and a fast connection, I am leery of storing all my private information online (like banking / investing / etc) in some kind of "cloud". Yes, it's useful to use the Windows Live Sky Drive if I have something to share with family but it would not be sensitive information for sure.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
After a small amount of researching, I have no use for "cloud" computing, regardless of the provider. I do a fair amount of internet purchasing, and don't want my financial information placed in jeopardy.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
After a small amount of researching, I have no use for "cloud" computing, regardless of the provider. I do a fair amount of internet purchasing, and don't want my financial information placed in jeopardy.
Agree with that Cat 100% ... no way would i trust my banking or business to any form of cloud computing.

Ask a Question