Classic Start Menu?

Reaction score
Just wondering... is it possible to switch back to the classic start menu in Windows 7? I don't really want to myself, but I've not seen the option to do so?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You can't find it as it doesn't exist in Windows 7 ;)

I'm sure that if people really don't like it there will be skinning applications that will provide a similar look and feel :)

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I hope so, I've used the Classic Look for so long that anything else just seems aquward and unusual to me.

Reaction score
There's a couple of solutions but none of them work very well... I know it's shit that they went out of their way to remove the classic start menu and implement some shit they didn't spend much time designing or thinking out... it's a real OS breaker, as XP still runs better in all aspects, and drastically better in some areas, does everything 7 ever will, is much easier to use and does everything I need it to do, so that leaves little reason to upgrade.

Reaction score
There's a couple of solutions but none of them work very well... I know it's shit that they went out of their way to remove the classic start menu and implement some shit they didn't spend much time designing or thinking out... it's a real OS breaker, as XP still runs better in all aspects, and drastically better in some areas, does everything 7 ever will, is much easier to use and does everything I need it to do, so that leaves little reason to upgrade.
Dude this is a Windows 7 Forum designed to help those in need
Im pretty sure the moderators will not let this forum turn into a Windows 7 Hate group
Perhaps you can leave your comments on a Windows XP forum - Im sure they will appreciate it more than us Windows 7 users

Reaction score
Dude this is a Windows 7 Forum designed to help those in need
Im pretty sure the moderators will not let this forum turn into a Windows 7 Hate group
Perhaps you can leave your comments on a Windows XP forum - Im sure they will appreciate it more than us Windows 7 users
I'm sure you've mistaken as a lot of people seem to be unhappy about this, and it makes no sense.

And you can take your trolling elsewhere.

Reaction score
If you have a problem with Windows 7 - Let us know and we will see what we can do to help - There is no need in negitive remarks only - If you like XP more than Windows 7 then stay with XP - I for one dont want to hear how much you hate Windows 7

Reaction score
If you have a problem with Windows 7 - Let us know and we will see what we can do to help - There is no need in negitive remarks only - If you like XP more than Windows 7 then stay with XP - I for one dont want to hear how much you hate Windows 7
I'm actually overall very pleased with it, but the UI is trash which I am not happy about...

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum fps_dean:ciao:

Im wasnt trying to start anything
Sorry I am just really pissed they removed something that worked.

Other than that it's very promising.

Let me tell you where I am coming from.

Minus Windows 7, everything Microsoft has done since XP 64-bit has been complete trash. Office 2007 is nearly impossible to use, I've had notepad crash in Vista upon release (by SP1 it got a little better, but memory leaks among instablity and poor performance plague that OS to this day). I've even had several recent Windows updates cause my computer to crash or blue screen when I load IE or My Computer, or even boot the the desktop.

I've been checking out Windows 7 for the past few days. I was really expecting it to be garbage, but it shows a lot of promise. Hardly uses any more RAM than XP and framerates are almost as good as XP (or 2003 server which has been my OS of choice).

I have had a couple of problems though -- I put them in a new thread.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It looks like there is a way to get something resembling a classis start menu back, I'll post an article on it later today if I get a chance :)

Reaction score
Thanks Ian, but the Windows key doesn't bring that up, so it leaves us keyboard users in the same boat :|

Reaction score

More details can be found here - Get Classic Start Menu Back in Windows 7 Using CWSM

This is a stand alone application that does not require installation.
  • Click on the CWSM.EXE to run the application.
  • If you choose to use CWSM at startup, simply place a shortcut link to CWSM.EXE in your startup folder.
  • There is a link within CWSM to view the original Start Menu will using CWSM.
  • If you choose to exit CWSM.EXE, right click the orb and select exit to close the application.

Last edited:

Ask a Question